Airport Base Station Extreme & WDS

Reaction score
Hi All

Is it possible to extend a network using WDS with the AEBS and another router?

Basically the story goes I have a PC in another room of the house and as this PC has a really old wireless network card in it - it is no longer supported by either of the operating systems on it.

I have an AEBS with a few hard drives connected in a USB hub that streams wonderfully to the macbook pro that I have. The PC was connected via a wired connection until just recently when my lovely wife decided to move the furniture around and the PC was no-longer able to stay in that location.

I have googled a bit and from what I have seen is that there is no way to do this but I have another router that works just fine but I replaced it with the AEBS and never looked back.

The other router is a Billion Bipac 7300G which I know can do the WDS stuff as I've found examples on how to do that elsewhere.

Is there a way to manually set WDS for the AEBS or is it strictly apple-apple stuff?

Cheers

Rey

OP
R
Reaction score

That would help if I had 2 x AEBS ... however I do not have 2 AEBS as noted above I have 1x AEBS and 1x Billion BiPac 7300G and was wanting to create a WDS using the hardware I have rather than having to buy more.

As far as signal is concerned the laptop gets perfect signal in the room from the AEBS and so I was not worried about signal strength in the room and if I was required to buy another piece of hardware I would just spend $30 to buy a usb wireless card and be done with it.

Thanks for the reply though

Rey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That would help if I had 2 x AEBS ... however I do not have 2 AEBS as noted above I have 1x AEBS and 1x Billion BiPac 7300G and was wanting to create a WDS using the hardware I have rather than having to buy more.

As far as signal is concerned the laptop gets perfect signal in the room from the AEBS and so I was not worried about signal strength in the room and if I was required to buy another piece of hardware I would just spend $30 to buy a usb wireless card and be done with it.

Thanks for the reply though

Rey

I'm aware of what you have, and your question was if the AEBS could be set as a WDS. The reading material would have answered that and shown how to. Here's more, but the answer is "Yes":
Can I use Airport Extreme as a bridge with non apple router? - All Things Macintosh | DSLReports Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.