hall.dll error

Reaction score
Trying to install xp but keep getting hal.dll error, any ideas how to fix this. Have done xp bootcamp several times with no hiccups...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at this article which explains the "hal.dll" error when trying to install Windows XP.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for the link but Im still extremely stuck. I downloaded ms-dos img file and burned a bootable dvd to disc using disk utility. I tried loading this but it wouldnt. I loaded xp and pressed f2 to load automated system recovery, tried ejecting my xp cd to insert ms-dos cd but wouldnt eject.

I have deleted everything using disk utility, partitioned hdd and have started from scratch, same thing happened again, hal.dll error. I thought this would definitely fix it.

How can I get ms-dos to run on my mac when windows installation hasnt even completed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe the hal.dll error you're getting is because you're not using a compatible version of XP. The only way that the hal.dll error really manifests itself is if the "boot.ini" file has been moved or is in error. By the way, "hal.dll" is the "hardware abstraction layer dynamic library link" file without which Windows can not run.

The copy of XP has to be either a MS boxed full version of XP SP2 or 3. You can also use an OEM System Builders full version of XP SP2 or 3. Other versions such as branded (Dell, Sony, etc), recovery, so called corporate, multiple disk (Media Edition) will not work.

OP
M
Reaction score
Problem fixed. When you create a NTFS partition, there is a second partition created about 20mb in size. You have to delete this, once I did, installation went perfect.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back. I really don't understand how a small 20 MB partition was created along with the NTFS partition unless you were using Disk Utility instead of the Boot Camp assistant to create the partition for Windows. Anyway, it makes sense because the "Boot.ini" file which points the boot loader in Windows was pointing to the wrong partition. Anyway, glad you got it fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.