Musical girl

Reaction score
Howdy folks, first post, just doing some research. I have a very musical 14 year old girl that wants a macbook so bad her head is going to explode. She will need it for scoring and hopefully as accompaniment with some sort of program that I have yet to discover but she probably knows all about. I am not bad with the computer thing and have looked at the macbook, the pro, and the different incarnations of each. So far i'm thinking the 13 inch pro seems to be the ticket, but would it be smarter to go with a bigger screen non pro? The prices escalate fairly quickly, but I don't wanna go too cheap and have to upgrade down the road. So, any advice?

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a music nerd myself, and I think that the 13" MacBook Pro is great for using GarageBand (making music) and it's also great for making scores. The MacBook Pro should be able to handle the things that you want it to be - running music applications. So go ahead!

Best regards,
The guy from Denmark, Nikolaj

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a very musical 14 year old girl that wants a macbook so bad her head is going to explode.

Isn't this the case for almost all items a 14 year-old wants...not just computers!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to the forum.

IMO as a 14yr old a 13" MBP would be the way to go. For portability and power (i play Call of Duty 4 Latest game) on my 13" MBP 2.4. We do have DJ's as member with some having a 13" but most own the 15 or 17.
Will she be lugging it around everywhere or is it more for home ?? Are you close to a  store to go and get a hands on ??

As it stands atm  doesnt make a *bigger non pro*, the 13" is the biggest screen just as a MacBook.
I would suggest as a 1st Mac for her have a look at the Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Laptops, Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.). (presuming you live in the US? You get a refurbed Mac with the same warranty as a new Mac. !2 months warranty and 90days phone support.
Also look into the Buy a Mac for College & Get $100 for Apps - Apple Back to School Offer - Apple Store (U.S.) for a student discount if she is eligible . . . A few things to think about. As for Music Apps, with a quick google brings up a multitude of Apps . . . Not sure of any personally :)
HTH

Cheers

C

chas_m

You can always attach a larger monitor (easily up to 24" IIRC) to the 13" MBP so I think you are right in that decision. There are plenty of software programs that can do what she'll need but I'd start with Garageband since it will do the job and is included. It can do both accompaniment and a limited ability for scoring (eventually she'll want Finale or something like that for more elaborate scoring abilities, but IMO let her outgrow GB first).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I wish my parents could have bought me an Apple back in the day. I ended up getting an Atari 1200XL PC that I had to pay half on. :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.