Slows down after installing VMWare and Windows 7 on mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just figured out, that my mac became really slow after i have installed VMWare and Windows on it.

For example after hibernation I have to wait around a minute to get things back, but it's kinda a long time, it wasn't like that before.

So can you tell me how to mesure performance on mac and how to improve it? Or what can i do in this situation. To be honest with you, I simply need an experienced answer, coz I don't have any experience playing with mac.

Thank you in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
It's likely a RAM issue- if you're virtualizing windows in MAC OS then you really should have about 8gb of RAM installed on your machine otherwise the entire system will bog down.
Do you experience this issue if you have the virtual machine turned off?

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just figured out, that my mac became really slow after i have installed VMWare and Windows on it.

For example after hibernation I have to wait around a minute to get things back, but it's kinda a long time, it wasn't like that before.

So can you tell me how to mesure performance on mac and how to improve it? Or what can i do in this situation. To be honest with you, I simply need an experienced answer, coz I don't have any experience playing with mac.

Thank you in advance

I talked to a Mac Technical Support guy (girl actually) that I was planning to use VirtualBot (same as VMware) and she said I should just try boot camp instead, so the RAM won't be shared by both OSs and processing speed won't be compromised. Drawback is, you won't be able to quickly toggle between Operating Systems (Windows 7 and Mac).

Hope that helped.

By the way, what currently is your RAM and Processor? And which Windows 7 are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
I talked to a Mac Technical Support guy (girl actually) that I was planning to use VirtualBot (same as VMware) and she said I should just try boot camp instead, so the RAM won't be shared by both OSs and processing speed won't be compromised. Drawback is, you won't be able to quickly toggle between Operating Systems (Windows 7 and Mac).

Hope that helped.

By the way, what currently is your RAM and Processor? And which Windows 7 are you using?

Yes bootcamping is definitely the most effective way of doing it. That's what I do. However, with a RAM upgrade you could alleviate many of the issues, particularly if you don'tactually need graphical performance. However this assumes that you actually have a decent enough processor, though as I recall it is possible to restrict CPU resources in the VM settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.