• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVR-MS Convert / Play

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 14", Intel-iMac 17"
Hi !

My roommate and I recorded some tv shows using his hp media center which created a .dvr-ms video file (huge, 4 gigs for an hour or so). I was wondering if there are any free converter for mac os x ? I'd like to convert it to xvid or another plugin.. and also compress it (around 10% of its original size)

Thanks alot !
- Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
I would love to know about this as well. I have an HP Media Center PC that I use in conjunction with my Mac and I would like to convert the DVR-MS files. I looked on the Microsoft website and it says that there is no way to edit these files yet, but they are working with software companies to add DVR-MS support to editing programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
I've finally found a program that can covert DVR-MS files!!! :)
...but it's not free and it's only for Windows.
It's "InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2". If your roommate has this program, you can use it to edit and convert the DVR-MS files. The conversion/compression options are fairly limited, but I just edit and save the tv shows as MPEG-2 (keeps original quality) and then convert it to an xvid or divx with another application after that.
I hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.