Using a single HD on Extreme for multiple OS backups?

Reaction score
Hi, I've run into a few questions about this task, with differing opinions on the idea, so I thought I'd ask here...

I have multiple Macs with various OS's all accessing a single Airport Extreme as the networking device and internet source - using both the Ethernet and wireless connection.

I would like to put a 1TB hard drive on the USB port of the Extreme as a central Backup HD for all of the computers that can read/write to it. The particular one I have, a LaCie, indicates a minimum OS requirement of 10.5.

I have several machines running 10.6/10.5. Others are running 10.4, another is 10.3, and still two more are OS 9, and OS 8.6 .

Putting aside the obvious question of why I have so many different OS's -- and yes I can migrate all but a couple to 10.5+...

is there any reason i should not be able to use this HD to serve as backup for all machines on the network regardless of each one's respective OS version?

I haven't even formatted the HD yet but beyond that the question is, is there any reason/need to partition the 1TB HD or could this simply be a matter of dragging each computer's respective HD volume(s) onto the 1TB HD directly?

If that is doable - would I then be able to use "Time Machine" on the OSX volumes...and, say.. Super Duper or CC Cloner for the backup of the older (OS 8.6/9) OS machines' volumes?

I'm trying to avoid going to a fee-based backup service like "Carbonite" etc. and do this myself if there's a simple way to accomplish the goal on my own...

Thanks a ton for any advice on the best strategy for all this (and apology in advance if this belongs in a different topic area : )

Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.