CS5 loading Q

Reaction score
HI:
New to MAC and CS5.
I have been using Lightroom 3 for a week or so with a couple plugins. l load CS5 and when I click the icon it tells me: "You can't open the application Adobe Photoshop CS5 because it may be damaged or incomplete." I had just loaded it from a disk (B&H Photo.)

I call Adobe and they want $60 to diagnose my computer. It is a brand new iMAC. Everything else is working fine. I am new to MACs having received the computer just a few days ago. (longtime PC user)

Anyone have this problem or have an idea what is wrong?

Thanks and Cheers,

Reaction score
I'd try to reinstall the software from your disk, reenter your serial number/registration code and try again.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi:
Tried that.
It only takes about 30 seconds and tells me it is already installed. Should I dump all the CS5 stuff in the trash and start from scratch?

Thanks,

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It should have it's own uninstall. Check your application folder.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi I have several files in applications. Adobe Bridge, Device Central, Extension Mng, CS5. None show an uninstall.

Thanks,

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hi I have several files in applications. Adobe Bridge, Device Central, Extension Mng, CS5. None show an uninstall.

Thanks,

Mine says otherwise. >_>"

20110708-k77rpm6iksb9qt7hxhjthae69a.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
Mine does not look that way. Under Adobe CS5 the subfolder includes only one name (subfolder) "CS5" and is only 33kb in size. Obviously where it is "incomplete" as the message is telling me.

Thanks,

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine does not look that way. Under Adobe CS5 the subfolder includes only one name (subfolder) "CS5" and is only 33kb in size. Obviously where it is "incomplete" as the message is telling me.

Thanks,

Try following these directions and see if it works or not.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks,
These instructions tell me to "Double-click the Adobe Creative Suite product uninstaller." The uninstaller is what I don't have! lol I have no "uninstall" file anywhere in CS5. I have checked the apps about 5 times.

I cant seem to uninstall it in this fashion and if I just put the disk in it tells me that it is already installed and basically spits the disk back out.

Cheers,

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,
These instructions tell me to "Double-click the Adobe Creative Suite product uninstaller." The uninstaller is what I don't have! lol I have no "uninstall" file anywhere in CS5. I have checked the apps about 5 times.

I cant seem to uninstall it in this fashion and if I just put the disk in it tells me that it is already installed and basically spits the disk back out.

Cheers,

There is a link to download the Adobe CS5 Cleaner Tool on Mac OS.

C

chas_m

I have to say I'm starting to wonder about the legitimacy of the OP's copy of CS5. I know if I paid over $1000 for the suite, I would want Adobe to solve the problem first time I called them.

OP
C
Reaction score
I check apps on the iMac and CS5 file/app is only 33kb large. It does not include an "uninstall file" ( or much else apparently) so I cant uninstall it that way (My understanding is that there is usually an uninstall included in CS5.) If I reload the program as is, it just tells me that CS5 is already installed and kicks out the disk.

I sent CS5 file to trash and empty trash with CS5 in it. (I did not trash Bridge and the other apps).
I then put the disk in and run install.
Installation prompt says CS5 is "already installed." When I look back in apps it shows a new/updated modified date and CS5 has reappeared and is 33kb.

I'll call Adobe again and Apple too.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi:
Thanks everyone.
I got hold of a rep at Adobe who was very helpful. Turns out there was a CS5 uninstall file in the Mac utilities folder (not in the Adobe files at all.) I had not looked there. Once it was properly out of the computer it downloaded correctly.

Thanks everyone for your time and help. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi:
Thanks everyone.
I got hold of a rep at Adobe who was very helpful. Turns out there was a CS5 uninstall file in the Mac utilities folder (not in the Adobe files at all.) I had not looked there. Once it was properly out of the computer it downloaded correctly.

Thanks everyone for your time and help. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

Glad you got it sorted out.

Reaction score
It's always a good idea to use Spotlight. Might have helped to localize that uninstall file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.