• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mini DV Playback Problem--Please Help!

J

justin1083

Hi Everyone, I'm a small-time video editor, and the cameraperson for the project I'm working on now recently sent me three mini DV tapes, all recorded at the same time and on the same camera (Canon GL2).

Two of the tapes worked fine, but one of them won't play back on the JVC video deck I'm using. It says "use cleaning cassette" as the error message. The weird thing is, the other tapes work, and I don't get this error message with any other tapes either. I don't have the camera these tapes were recorded on, but I tried playing the faulty one in my own video camera and there was no picture, and eventually gave the message "incompatible data."

I'm working on a deadline and have no idea what the problem is or why it would only affect one tape. Does anyone know what could cause this? Please help! Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
My guess would be damaged media. The third tape maybe bad. Try and get the original camera to verify if that tape is bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.