Acrylic 22" Cinema Display (early DVI type), Blank Screen with Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
Howdy folks,

Love Mac-forums! I often resolve my Apple problems by searching here. This one is rather specific and I haven't found anything to address it, so here goes;

I recently acquired an acrylic 22" Apple Cinema Display. I'm trying to use it as an external display for my Macbook (MB, not MBP, 2.2 GHz C2D, I think early 2008 model. Bought as a refurb from Apple in late summer that year.).

I've connected all the cables (power supply, USB and DVI cable with Mini-DVI adapter) to the MB. The power light on the monitor is amber, steady glow. When the Mini-DVI adapter goes into the Mac's port, you get the momentary blink as it detects the display and I'm then able to move the cursor off-screen, so the MB clearly detects it. When I press the power button in the monitor, the shut-down menu appears.

If I understand correctly, that model MB doesn't have a separate graphics processor, but I BELIEVE it should still be able to handle a 22" monitor.

I think I'm going to open up the monitor and have a peak to see if anything is obviously fried. There is what appears to be a coffee stain underneath the bezel just below the Apple logo on the front of the monitor, which kinda makes me say "Hmmm..." Hopefully, I'll be able to fix it.

My question is this: is there anything else you think I can try to get the external display to display? A driver, perhaps? On the Apple website, I found that there was a CD-ROM with software that came with this monitor when it was sold new.

Attached is an image of the monitor's cables and power supply to help reduce some confusion. You can see that it is not the ADC cable that came on models soon after this one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

IMG_20110628_110917.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.