Canon scanner causing kernel panic with OS X 10.6.7

Reaction score
Since upgrading to 10.6.7 my Canon CanoScan 8800F and/or the Canon scanning software MP Navigator EX (v. 1.0.5) invariably cause kernel panic (spinning beach ball) on my iMac. This can only be resolved by force quitting the scanning software. The scanner driver is updated to the latest version available from Canon website.

Any remedies out there? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Since upgrading to 10.6.7 my Canon CanoScan 8800F and/or the Canon scanning software MP Navigator EX (v. 1.0.5) invariably cause kernel panic (spinning beach ball) on my iMac. This can only be resolved by force quitting the scanning software. The scanner driver is updated to the latest version available from Canon website.

Any remedies out there? Thanks!

Upgrade to 10.6.8. If that doesn't work, try downgrading the driver, or uninstall it if you can. OS X comes with a lot of printer and scanner drivers already, and installing that may have technically been a downgrade for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050
Upgrade to 10.6.8. If that doesn't work, try downgrading the driver, or uninstall it if you can. OS X comes with a lot of printer and scanner drivers already, and installing that may have technically been a downgrade for you.

I agree. In the few weeks I've had my mac, I've found that a good rule of thumb is to try the device without it's drivers first and if you can't get it to work, THEN use the drivers it came with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have a different Canon all-in-one printer/scanner/copier (MP 620) with MP Navigator EX 2.0. Is that version available for your printer? If so, I'd recommend updating your drivers and/or firmware.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As member MYmacROX advises, update the MP Navigator to version 2.0 and try again. I also have a Canon MP 620 and that's the version I use.

The Canon website has a listing of all its printers that are currently supported and a link to the latest drivers. Make sure you click on Mac OS
X and then choose 10.6.X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.