• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone mod their macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2003 Powerbook G4, 768 mb's of ram 120gb hard drive, 17 inch dvd burner, or Superdrive
Im new here and am not entirely sure if this even belongs in here, i didnt see any other forums on the site where I could post this, so all apologies if it does not belong here. Onto the actual meaning of this forum post now, does anyone on here have any mods done to their macs/do mods to their macs? If so, just discuss it here, and post pics(if you have any). Im going to mod my power book with blue leds for the keyboard backlight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I recently added 2 led strips inside my G5 while I redid my room. Turned out great in my opinion. I also have a thread up on my G5's here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/219490-project-code-blue-go.html
I just got done painting my "black" one after not liking the first paint job(black gets finger prints ALL OVER(!), but it's not really complete yet.
Here are some new pics.
20110630-phxsty8dpbftfywtkuhdipyhxh.jpg

20110630-mme7ak4enf31t1i86exj84jtmw.jpg

20110630-te6kn42m99xb9s6irh41p5tfhr.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I like my electronics to be of consistent manufacturers :) Apple/Logitech.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Loving the choice in electronic manufacturer preference! And the G5. :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2003 Powerbook G4, 768 mb's of ram 120gb hard drive, 17 inch dvd burner, or Superdrive
Im going to take the stock not so bright white LEDs off the fibre optic strips in my power book, order a box of 100 13,000 MCD blue LEDs, take 2 of them, and put them into my mac for a super sick looking blue backlit keyboard! Once finished WILL post pics of the whole project.

EDIT: I want one of those G5 cases to put my media computer I built into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 13 inch unibody 2.3ghz intel i5, 8gb DDR3, 500gb Seagate momentus XT HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Only real modding I did -- after my warranty expired, of course! -- was I recently took out the SuperDrive, which has been refusing to write and about 50% of the time refuses to read...and replaced it with one of those add-a-second-hard-drive caddies. So far it's worked really well -- I now have a triple-boot set up with Snow Leopard, Win***s 7 Ultimate, and Ubuntu 11.04. Comes in handy, especially when doing freelance IT work.

Only problem is there's a slight bulge in the keyboard because the caddy is slightly too thick to fit perfectly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Only real modding I did -- after my warranty expired, of course! -- was I recently took out the SuperDrive, which has been refusing to write and about 50% of the time refuses to read...and replaced it with one of those add-a-second-hard-drive caddies. So far it's worked really well -- I now have a triple-boot set up with Snow Leopard, Win***s 7 Ultimate, and Ubuntu 11.04. Comes in handy, especially when doing freelance IT work.

Only problem is there's a slight bulge in the keyboard because the caddy is slightly too thick to fit perfectly...

This is something that has interested me for a while... Where did you happen to buy your caddy from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

I had the same thing going on my mbp. It was useful...but the split OS on 2 hardrives did me in. I had an ssd +hdd setup, with the ssd holding all the important files and programs. The speed isn't worth the constant back and forth moving and deleting of files, which will only cause problems in an sdd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I wish I still had the pics of my old G4 Sawtooth (after it randomly died) that I modded to accommodate PC hardware. Pretty standard mod, it's done quite a bit.

That's as far as I've ever gone. I like to mod things/void warranties, and if I had more time/money to spend on it, I'd make it a full-time hobby.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.