24" Cinema display goes on and off..help!

zeb

Reaction score
So, I am a new apple convert, and I recently bought an i7 15" macbook pro and a 24" led cinema display. Both used. The laptop has applecare, the monitor doesnt.

When I first started using both, everything was fine. Now, for about 30 mint after plugging in the minidisplay port it will flash off, then back on a bunch of times (maybe 5 or 6)..always staying on. Is there something I might be missing or is there something wrong? If something is wrong, does it sound like the macbook or the monitor?

The only plug I plug in is the minidisplay one...should I also be plugging in the usb?

Sorry for newbie question, and any help is much appreciated! thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may have a defective or loose cable, try another one. And you're using the correct port. The USB port on the Cinema Display is output only for a USB device such as a mouse.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
How do I try another cable? Its attached to the display...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Make sure the cable is securely fastened to the mini display port connector on the MBP and not loose. The cable should be a three in one that includes the MDP, USB, and MagSafe.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Yes, it is a 3 in 1...but if I wanted to replace the cable I dont see how I could...it goes directly into the display, no way to detatch it.
Thanks again for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand, and hopefully it's not the cable but just a loose connection to the MacBook Pro mini display port connector. If the connector is OK on the MBP, it may have something to do with the cable. Check the connector pins on the 3 in 1 cable and make sure none are bent or loose.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
The minidisplayport doesnt really have pins...its more like a usb...
Why would they make the cable non-removable?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would they make the cable non-removable?

Better conducting capability, less impedance. Each connector adds impedance to the cable.

Also, take a look at this link where you can see that the Mini Display Port has a specific pinout. The male side has 20 pins and that's where you should be looking for bent or loose pins.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
They look straight. If you would consider them pins, they are against each wall...not sure how they would bend. They look fine.
Its almost like the screen is "refreshing". Goes black real quick then back on, and only happens right after (maybe 30 seconds) after the display is plugged in. Could it be something in settings? Ive only had the setup for a week or two, this only started a few days ago.
Thanks for all your help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe there's anything in the settings that can cause that, however, to make sure.... open System Preferences, Displays, when the Cinema Display is attached, and make sure that it's set to its native resolution of 1920 x 1200.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Im just confused, if it was the cable, why would it only go on/off soon after turning on and not all the time? Its weird...
Could something be interfering with it? (some electrical or something)
Its just that I dont have apple care on my monitor, but I do on my macbook...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.