2.5" FW800 HDD enclosure recommendation?

Reaction score
I've got a couple of WD Scorpio Black 750GB drives that I want to put in external enclosures supporting FW800. I've got a few other drives, and recently had two OWC enclosures arrive DOA.

Any other recommendations for a 2.5" sata drive enclosure with FW800?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Other World Computing sells Firewire 800 and triple interface enclosures. You can see them at this LINK.

OP
I
Reaction score
Other World Computing sells Firewire 800 and triple interface enclosures. You can see them at this LINK.

Thanks, Chscag, but as I mentioned in my OP, the two recent failures I've had were both OWC. I'm trying to find an alternative to them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, I missed that. Did you return the enclosures that failed to OWC? Actually I'm surprised at that because their "Mercury on the Go" drives and enclosures are highly rated by MacWorld.

Are you anywhere near a Fry's Electronics Store? The last time I was in their store they had a wide stock of enclosures including many different brands of Firewire and\or triple interface. Other than there, you might try Amazon.com to see what they have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hope you have taken up the DOA articles with OWC as there is a warranty with their goods.

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed that. Did you return the enclosures that failed to OWC? Actually I'm surprised at that because their "Mercury on the Go" drives and enclosures are highly rated by MacWorld.

Are you anywhere near a Fry's Electronics Store? The last time I was in their store they had a wide stock of enclosures including many different brands of Firewire and\or triple interface. Other than there, you might try Amazon.com to see what they have.

Yeah, I've got an RMA for the enclosure. I've got several of these enclosures (six, I believe), and now 2 of the last 3 were DOA. It's like no juice is getting to the board to power it up. Throw the drive in another enclosure and it works great. It wouldn't even bother me that much if I didn't have to pay the return shipping, but paying for shipping for an item that never worked from day one doesn't sit well with me.

Nonetheless, I am going to get a replacement enclosure, but I'm looking at other options as I move forward.

I've done a LOT of business with OWC over the years, so these failures disappoint me a bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.