Which Airport Extreme Card do I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
Hi. I bought a Mac Pro from a friend and it doesn't have an airport extreme card. I would like to get one but don't know which is the correct one for my system.

I tried googling with my Mac Pro model# and checked the apple support site but cannot find the model#of the airport extreme card I need. Of course they listed them for all other accessories that I don't want!

And of course I did a search in this forum and didn't come up with the answer.

My system:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
(Running OSX 10.6.7)

Which I believe is model MA356 (early 2008) from what I have been able to find out so far.

I've found a couple different cards:

APPLE A1026 - M8881LL/A (seems too old for mine?)

MB988Z/A (I think this is the one? but on MacMall it says it's for early 2009 model - I've called them before and the person wasn't very knowledgable)

TIA for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This is the one you need:-

Apple Airport Extreme Card Atheros 802.11n MacPro 06-09 | eBay

Can recommend the dealer as have purchased many items from them in Hong Kong and they provide a 60 day warranty. Also if you are going to fit it yourself, it is not the easiest chore to undertake and those antenna leads are pretty thin. Also consider popping in Bluetooth at the same time as they go one by the other:-

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-
Thank you so much!

I think I have bluetooth. I see a bunch of info when I look at "Bluetooth" under "Hardware" in System Profiler. Is it safe to post what I see or is any of that info sensitive?

Oh, I must have it, I see the bluetooth signal icon at the top and when I click on it there are options in a pull down menu. Yep, I do. It found my cell phone and identified the make/model correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It should show an address under Apple System Profiler > Bluetooth such as 00-16-2e etc and maker as Cambridge Silicon Radio and Software Version 2.4.5f3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.