ipv6

Reaction score
I'm in the UK. My ISP is BT. BT mail is provided by Yahoo.
Recently had a pop up message from Yahoo saying that my machine was not ipv6 capable. The setting on my Mac for ipv6 is "automatic".
Yahoo say they have been running tests as a run up to a lot of servers being changed to ipv6.
Please excuse some of my terminology. I am not that knowledgeable on this subject.
My question is why would they say my Mac is not ipv6 capable, and are we going to run into internet access issues when ipv6 is the norm?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is a shot in the dark, but if you are using a router, perhaps THAT is what is not IPv6 compatible?

OP
N
Reaction score
I did wonder about the router, but that is provided by BT, so I would have thought it would be OK. Had a look at the settings on the router, and I can't find any reference to ipv6, or ipv4 for that matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I did wonder about the router, but that is provided by BT, so I would have thought it would be OK. Had a look at the settings on the router, and I can't find any reference to ipv6, or ipv4 for that matter.

Yeah, I have a Time Capsule, and it has no reference to IPv6 that I can find. At the moment, I wouldn't sweat it. There are bound to be issues at some point, but till then you really can't do much and worrying about it now won't solve anything. Just stay on top of your OS updates and if you have trouble, get on your ISP about it. If it is the router, then you are by no means the only person getting the message and they will have to do something about that. Heck… THEY should be getting the message (surely they use their own services), so yeah… they likely are looking into it already.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yep. I totally agree. So, as far as the Mac is concerned, we are ready?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its defonatelly the router, contact BT to see if you can get an upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.