HP and Mac OSX

Reaction score
What is the issue with HP and Snow Leopard (and earlier versions if I read most of what's on the net)? I have a PhotoSmart 7150 Printer and a Scanjet 4070 Scanner, neither of which will work with my Mac with the latest updates.

I have never had the printer function properly from day one, the scanner worked fine until 2 updates ago. Now the system says I have no scanner attached, even though I hear the scanner warm up everytime i log into my Mac.

I know there's nothing wrong with either machine as I have reinstalled them in a Win7 box and both work as normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like Lexmark cannot be bothered with older machines and their only answer is buy a new one. No profit margin writing drivers for older hardware it seems.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to wonder how many HP printers are going to "break" when Lion goes gold? HP is famous for abandoning older printers. You can bet most of those printers mentioned on their web page as not being supported in Snow Leopard will work just fine in Windows 7. :Angry-Tongue:

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, I was checking out the "kind" of software I had after reading a MacWorld article and have discovered all the HP software is PowerPC, and won't be working with Lion anyway.
Time to switch to Canon I guess. My scanner is a bit long in the tooth.

OSXX, I appear to be a bit dislexic, I actually read that page and completely missed the "NOT" part. I'm going to give it one more shot with the Linux drivers and if that doesn't work it's back to the Win7 box.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't have a solution for the scanner but there may be one for the printer. Have you tried the GutenPrint drivers? The PhotoSmart 7150 is listed as a supported printer Gutenprint Supported Printers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.