USB-hub-trouble (hard-drives etc not working in some "ports")

Reaction score
I've got an external-powered usb-hub, where some of the usb-ports don't seem to work. They do get power, they just don't communicate with the mac.

Is this common (something wrong with hub), or a way I can fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've got an external-powered usb-hub, where some of the usb-ports don't seem to work. They do get power, they just don't communicate with the mac.

Is this common (something wrong with hub), or a way I can fix this?

It could be a problem with the hub. It may not be correctly connected to your Mac. Those ports may be for power-only (no data transfer). Hard to say lacking details of what you have exactly.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks man! In any case I'll need another one as I need all ports...

By the way - slightly off-topic - is it a good idea to use two hubs and not fill them with devices? Does this maybe make it easier for the mac to read them properly..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
I don't know if this has a bearing on your situation, but USB connections come in two power flavors: 500 mA and 1 A (Ampere). Some accessories won't work properly on just 500 mA. Some accessories need more than 1 Amp, which is why most outboard hard drives have a separate wall wart power supply.

Or...your hub is simply not working properly. (I'm assuming you are plugging in things which work correctly connected direct to the computer, but won't work connected to the hub).

It would help if you listed specific models of hub and accessories.

No, partly filling shouldn't make a difference, though real life can be weird sometimes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.