Database

Reaction score
I am new to mac development ... I am trying to port an app for windows to the latest MAC OS ... and I have a question ...

The windows app creates an access database to store things, and it is not required to have access installed, it just uses that format .. i need to use something similar for MAC that is sort of native to MAC and most common .. what is a common database format used for MAC? i need to use something for which there are lots of drivers, mature, stable, etc ... should i use mysql?

i just dont want to choose something that may not be standard for mac and i might have trouble supporting it in the future ...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This all depends on how sophisticated a database you need. You could use something light like SQLite or you could just as easily use something a little more sophisticated like MySQL or PostgreSQL. The latter two do not come with OS X so if this is going to be distributed, that will be something to consider. One thing to consider as well is how well the language you're using supports each of the aforementioned DBs (you should be fine though) and whether or not they support other formats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
I'm an ORACLE and SQL Server Developer & DBA. I love databases. Do you mean proper RDBMS, and/or Datawarehouses?

I wish Apple made a database system for the Mac platform. The best I could find was MySQL - open source, and a nightmare to use compared to SQL Server (the one and only good piece of software Microsoft ever made). Apple had FileMaker in the '80s and it has grown, but it really is plankton compared to SQL Server. I have SQL Server 2008 running on Windows on my Mac Pro, seamlessly.

I'd say MS Access is a lot more sophisticated than FileMaker.

C

chas_m

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is probably better placed here in the developer forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Given you mention Access, I'm guessing you want a local and perhaps private user store. In that case I'd start my investigation with SQLite which is installed with OS X and iOS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.