External storage or fill up SSD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mbp 2.53 i5 8gb
I have a 2010 MBP i5 2.53 with 256gb SSD. I don't really need more space at this time, but am wondering if I use my SSD for all my storage if it will slow my system down.

Should I use my SSD for all my media, files, etc.? Or should I use an external drive and save my SSD for OS and apps?

I am also planning on installing windows via parallels in the near future if that makes a difference.

Thanks-this is my first post

Reaction score
Personally I'd be very wary of Installing Windows on an SSD as they have a finite amount of time before they wear out. Windows is notorious for for accessing the hard disk drive, even when you're not doing anything!

With regards to filling up your SSD with all your files, as long as you leave 10-20% space free for OSX to use then you shouldn't really notice much speed difference compared to storing them on an external drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mbp 2.53 i5 8gb
So can I install windows on a USB external drive when using parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
I think not, as Windows itself unfortunately must be installed on the root/boot drive. But I'm not an expert, so take that with a small grain of salt since parallels is slightly different. If you don't see more replies, post that question as a separate thread under the software forum.

Windows will eat up huge hunks of your SSD, and updates thereafter gobble up a lot more. But yeah, as long as you have >10% free it shouldn't be a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.