portable iOmega external hard drive not working at all!...please help!

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, so please excuse me if I am in the wrong forum area, or if I do anything else wrong.

I have a 500GB iOmega Prestige portable hard drive that seems to be frustrating me to no end. It was purchased about 3 years ago and worked up until recently.

I suppose I will just start from the beginning. I have a 13" MBP. I tried to go into Disk Utilities (DU) and go through as many of the trouble shooting steps as i could fathom, and find on the internet. (FirstAid; repair disk, Erase, Partition, reboot Finder and then try all over again). nothing I did in DU worked, until finally one time something changed and now all I can see on the lefthand bar is the factory name of the external HD (500.11 GB ST950032...) and underneath that there is, in faint grey text, "disk1s2" (that appears to not be mounted). I have also tried to mount that disk without success. the drive does not apear on the desk top, and any attempt to repair, erase, or partition it fails with various messages.

Currently when i plug the HD in VIA USB i get a alert that says "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" then it provides 3 buttons, Initialize, ignore, and eject. If i hit initialize DU opens with the HD on the left but non responsive to any actions.

I hope there is still a chance I can get this sucker back in working order. I can and will provide screen shots and more info as needed.

I hope I provided enough information to comprehend the problem.

THX!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're beating a "dead horse". Typically this is the way external hard drives die. It could be something mechanical, or electronic. Probably something in the drive electronics has failed unless it was dropped or mishandled.

The best you can hope for now is to try to extract your data from the dead drive. I'm not sure that even recovery or repair software will work since the drive will not mount. It's possible the drive is covered under warranty. I don't know how long iOmega warrants them for but you can find out by going to their website.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.