Running Windows DVI output on Mac Book

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just joined as I am frustrated with what I am sure is a simple task but one that even the AppleMac dealer cannot help me with!!! Here goes and my fingers are crossed.....

I am running Windows on my MacBook Pro and have no problems at all however recently I cannot get an output from my DVI to HDMI input on my Windows only compatible Onkyo AVR. It has been working okay for ages and lets me stream TV shows direct to my TV but now it has simply stopped. I can get the picture at times but never audio.

The experts say there is nothing that can be done which infuriates me as it worked perfectly before. Can somebody please help me as if I use the Mac side I cannot watch on my TV through my AVR....

The only thing that I can come up with is that an automatic Windows update has somehow messed up my sound card but NO IDEA how to fix it
Please help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, let's get this in the correct forum.

Are you using a DVI to HDMI adapter and then a HDMI cable to the Onkyo? And then HDMI from the Onkyo to the TV? Explain the hookups. In the meantime, I would try swapping cables and the adapter with new ones. It's possible that a cable or adapter has failed.

I don't know how a Windows update could have caused the sound to fail unless somehow you updated the audio drivers in Windows? Your problem sounds more like it's hardware related especially since you say it was working OK and now it isn't.

Also, you're not going to get any help from Apple since you're using Windows in order to play video - audio through your Onkyo AVR.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi chscag,

Sorry for the wrong forum..

Hook up are DVI to HDMI via adapter and into the AVR. HDMI from the AVR to the TV. I have swapped round cables a few times and cross checked that they are working. I have also gone direct to the TV and again can get the picture but not the audio.

The audio input works as I use it for my music outside, again via the AVR Zone 2 however would love to get the simple one cable DVI output to do its job.

The DVI is working on the Mac side no problem which again makes me return to the Windows problem. Your suggestion regarding audio drivers is interesting and was wondering if you could explain that a bit further????

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First off - we need to get at least one term correct - DVI - DVI does not now, nor has it ever passed audio - on any operating system - it is quite simply not capable of doing so.

From your last statement, it sounds as if you are using only a single adapter and audio is working in OS X? On your Windows only Onkyo?

Based on that, I will assume you have a Mac less than 2 years old and are actually using a mini displayport (mdp) to HDMI adapter.

I also use an Onkyo receiver and they are not Windows only. Not sure where you get that unless it's because Onkyo does not provide tech support for Macs. The only thing it cares about is getting the proper EDID info from a device. It does not care what that device is nor what OS is running.

Before I go much further, need to know for sure, is it working in OS X, just not Windows?

Also need to know which Mac you have, what version of OS X and what flavor of Windows. I prefer year, model, cpu speed - e.g. '09 MBP 2.4Ghz, 10.6.7, Win 7.

Have you had a recent power outage? These affect the internal settings of Onkyos and can sometimes be a pitr getting them set back up again. Particularly the audio. We've had some serious thunderstorms here this year and have dealt with this twice in the last few months. Sounds like this could well be your issue, if as you say, the audio is working in Zone 2 from your Mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi bobtomay,

Thanks for coming back to me. Yeah had a look and it is actually a minidisplay port. Oops!!

I have a MBP 2.3Ghz dual-core i5 bought end of last year. Have Snow Leopard OS (updated upto date) and also running Windows 7 via Bootcamp.

I have no problems running on the Mac side which if my Onkyo will work with it then my issue should be resolved but would be nice to know it works on both. Our power tripped a while back so could be that although again I have the issue with audio if I try on another TV direct. What did you have to do to reset your Onkyo and I will try that?

Really frustrating knowing it worked but not now

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Let's make sure which scenario you have so we're not troubleshooting the wrong thing here.

A
Have you actually tried it in both OS X and Windows through the Onkyo and know for sure the audio is working from OS X, but not Windows? If this is the case, the issue would be a setting or driver in Windows.

B
It is not working in either one. Then I'd be looking at the Onkyo. Don't have the time to go all the way into this right now, as it's time for me to head for work. :Angry-Tongue:

But, let me know which scenario you have.

(Not working on the TV throws a kink in it. This one really leads me to believe it would be the adapter that has the issue unless it is working in OS X. But, if neither OS works on the Onkyo, also try both, OS X and Win7, direct to the TV.

If neither one of them work on the TV either, if it were me, I'd first try a different HDMI cable if you have one. Next, I'd replace the adapter.

If anything works on the TV while nothing works on the Onkyo, then we'll head into the Onkyo settings.)

OP
M
Reaction score
I will have a check tonight as I am picking it up from the Mac guys tonight and will get back to you. Thanks for your help so far and have a good day at work?!?!

Will come back to you ASAP and thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.