iomega disappeared and won't mount to MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I know this is an old problem with iomega external drives, but all other threads I've read on here dated back to 2007-9. This is a 4 month-old iomega 500 gB ext. drive that disappeared from my desktop a few days ago. I have tried to look it up and repair/verify it through disk utility. Disk Utility recognizes the existence of an external drive, and it shows the name of it directly underneath, but I am unable to access that name (it's greyed out). This drive never needed a USB y-cable and worked fine on the single USB 2.0 cable that was supplied. Since I can no longer get it to recognize, all I want to do is pull the information it has on it onto a different drive...how do I do this when I can't click on the drive's name in Disk Utility???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible the drive is having problems. The first thing to try is attach it to another Mac or PC. If the drive mounts OK on another Mac or PC and the data can be "seen", then the trouble is likely with your USB ports.

If you have a USB double cable try using it instead of a single cable.

If none of the above work, the drive is likely at fault. If you have data on the drive that you need to extract, you might think about using recovery software. But note that the purchase of good recovery software is not inexpensive.

Data Rescue 3

Also, since the drive is 4 months old, it's still under warranty. iOmega will issue a RMA and replace it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.