Windows 7 installation problem

Reaction score
Hi
I am in the process of trying to install windows 7 on my imac using boot camp. Following the steps of the Boot Camp Install Setup 10.6 pdf, everything seemed to be going to plan until i left the mac to it for a few minutes. On returning i was confronted with a black screen and no obvious activity. The last input i had was on the windows "Where do you want to install Windows" screen. The pdf suggested that i select Disk 0 Partition 3 BOOTCAMP/Click Advanced/Click Format/Click Next, which is what i done. Windows looked to be installing but after a time i got a black screen.

Is this normal or a problem. The screen has been black for around 30 mins. Any help, suggestion, feedback would be much appreciated.

Update
I force quit my mac, rebooted and accessed the windows install disc to try a re install. The process was as above, all looking good with a couple of installation reboots as expected. On the last of the reboots i got a "press any key" type message and then a black screen again. Can anyone tell me if this black screen is part of the process, as its been like this for some time. I carried out all the checks on my system, checked for software updates and backed up to an external hard drive as suggested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No not for that length of time. What type of disc are you using for the install? Full retail version, OEM, tied house disc such as Dell etc?

OP
T
Reaction score
No not for that length of time. What type of disc are you using for the install? Full retail version, OEM, tied house disc such as Dell etc?

Full version retail of windows 7 home premium edition. The installation gets to the Completing Installation stage, goes black screen and stays that way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. Actually, this has been posted in our Windows forum before but it's always good to be reminded. Enjoy Windows 7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.