Cleaning keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I have the latest wired Apple keyboard, and it's starting to get a bit dirty; the white keys are starting to show stains or whatever it is, looks more like dirt. Anywho, what would be the best way to clean the keyboard without hurting it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I unplug mine, turn it upside down, and gently tap on the bottom. You be surprised at the bits of dust and dirt that falls out. Doesn't harm the keyboard, but don't drop it during the process. :)

The keys clean very easily with a mild soap solution. Again, turn the keyboard upside down first... then with a damp cloth dipped in the mild soap solution, wipe the keys. Just make sure the cloth is damp and not dripping wet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
I unplug mine, turn it upside down, and gently tap on the bottom. You be surprised at the bits of dust and dirt that falls out. Doesn't harm the keyboard, but don't drop it during the process. :)

I was very surprised the first time I did this with the new keyboard. I think I'd assumed that because it was thinner and the keys flatter that it wouldn't store crumbs. Boy I was wrong!!

I just wipe mine down with a damp cloth and that normally brings the keys back to their normal whiteness.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Ok good, glad it's nothing special i need to do then. Thanks for the tips!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.