iPhone 4 Quick Battery Drain

Reaction score
How can I stop the battery from draining so quickly? I have a lot of apps and think some may be running constantly?

Any thoughts on what to check?

Reaction score
I know this sounds very basic, but do you close your apps?
As in, double clicking the button at the bottom and then closing them all?
If so, no apps should run in the back ground (well not taking so much battery anyway)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
What I've noticed that drains the battery the quickest for me is internet access. This is partly the reason why I turn off my iPhone internet when I'm not using it because some apps access the internet in the background. You can turn it off in the general settings section. I wish Apple would move that switch to the top menu for quicker access.

Also if you have lots of apps that do push notifications then that keeps them running in the background which drains battery life. As mentioned by cheesus the iPhone leaves apps open once you've use them. Some apps don't stay active in the background while others do which uses battery power. I usually only close the ones that I don't use frequently because it does become a chore if you are constantly trying to close all of them after using them. The iPhone doesn't haven't a quick shortcut like the Mac to close apps.

Lastly if you haven't calibrated your battery by doing a full drain and then a fully uninterrupted charge then I've noticed that the battery meter goes down a lot quicker than normal. Only do that every once in awhile if you notice the battery draining quicker than normal. Also anytime I charge my iPhone I leave the charger connected until it's full. I've noticed that if I end it early it really messes up the battery meter. Basically there are several different factors that can cause faster battery drain. You need to figure out which one is giving you the most drain.

C

chas_m

The apps running the background are probably NOT what's eating your battery, unless some of them are still actively engaged (such as IM programs). Most apps enter a "suspended state" when they are not active and don't take up resources.

The usual culprits are Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and 3G. Turn off the services you don't need or use often, or if you know you are not going to be using the phone for a while (such as in a movie or play). I put mine in Airplane Mode on those occasions, since it's one swipe and done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I put mine in Airplane Mode on those occasions, since it's one swipe and done.
The reason why I don't use Airplane Mode for similar situations is because it turns off all wireless communication. I like to still receive calls or text when watching movies, listen to music, etc but I know for sure I won't be using the internet.

I wish Apple would put the interent off button right under the Airplane Mode button for quick access. You are right though if battery life is the most important concern than turning everything off with Airplane Mode is the way to go.

C

chas_m

The reason why I don't use Airplane Mode for similar situations is because it turns off all wireless communication. I like to still receive calls or text when watching movies, listen to music, etc but I know for sure I won't be using the internet.

I do wish Apple would make it easier/faster to turn off/on selected services, say with a gesture. I'd love to be able to turn off, say, Bluetooth (which I don't use that much) with a gesture. Or Wi-Fi, come to that. Or 3G even.

When I said I put it in Airplane Mode above, I was referring to situations where I *do not* want any phone calls ... in a cinema, at a play or concert, very important meeting, that sort of thing. It's hard for some people these days to understand, but it's okay not to be available 24/7. :)

I wish Apple would put the interent off button right under the Airplane Mode button for quick access. You are right though if battery life is the most important concern than turning everything off with Airplane Mode is the way to go.

Yeah, Airplane Mode essentially turns the iPhone into an iPod Touch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.