How do connect my Humax PVR to the Internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
I have a BT home hub which I've 'ethernetted' into my Mac. I want to connect my Humax PVR to the intenet via an Airport Express so I can watch BBC I Player.
I have an Airport Express but have no clue as to how to use it.

I can connect the Airport Express via a ethernet cable to the Humax PVR but the Airport light is just amber.

I really need an idiots guide, step by step to set this up as I'm not very technical.

All the guides seem to be based around using the Express as a wifi hub (already got my BT homehub) or using it to play ITunes through my stereo (which I don't need).

Any help would be gratefully received.

Rich

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd suggest you open up the owner's manual for your PVR and read what it's ethernet port supports. Don't know anything about UK boxes, but here in the US, most of them only support phoning home or updating firmware. There is no support for anything else built into them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi Rich

I know exactly what you want to do, but I don't think you can do it with the Express, but I may be wrong.

Firstly, you will need to try and "pair" the Express with the BT Homehub. There should be some info on this if you do a google search. Once the Express has joined the Homehub, you will then be able to connect an ethernet cable from the Express to the Humax. This will then give you access to BBC iPlayer & ITV Player. As I say, the issue is trying to get the Express to join the BT Homehub. If you can do that, the rest should be a easy.

I use a pair of Belkin Homeplugs to connect my Humax via ethernet. One is connected to the Humax, the other is plugged into the back of my Airport Extreme which is in the attic. The signal travels through the mains wiring and I get very good results.

I will have a look at connections for the Extreme and Homehub and if I find any info I will let you know.

Cheers

Philip

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.