Windows 3.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
I know I'm not the first person to do this, but I got bored last night, downloaded boxer, and started fiddling around with a bunch of old DOS games. Got me feeling sentimental about my early days with technology and I decided to try to get a copy of Windows 2.03 up and running. Unfortunately Boxer doesn't emulate an early enough version of DOS, so I ended up having to go with Windows 3.1 :p Works like a charm :)

Screenshot2011-06-17at73326PM.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's pretty cool. It's been a long time since I've seen 3.1. Sad that Windows hasn't come very far from those days ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sure does bring back old memories. I still have a copy of Windows 3.0, 3.1 and WFWG 3.11. Friend of mine has copies of Windows from 1.0 right on up through the latest. He's a collector of sorts. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That reminds me of some old adventure game that used ANSI characters for the… well the character. And the environment and monsters. It was ZZT. I've been wanting to replay that. Off I go...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Brings back memories for sure! I might get out my cd of 3.1 and try it for the fun of it.

Boxer? Cool. Must try it. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Brings back memories for sure! I might get out my cd of 3.1 and try it for the fun of it.

Boxer? Cool. Must try it. :D

You may have heard of DOS Box before. Boxer is a Mac front-end for DOS Box. It's really great.

OP
thekilierdonut
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Boxer is basically a program built around Dosbox; Dosbox made easy, if you will. The whole idea behind it was to give it a simple, "mac-like" interface. It's am excellent DOS emulator. I think I have a copy of 3.11 wfwg at my parents' house in a box of old computer stuff in my old bedroom, along with a copy of Windows 2.03 on (gasp!) 5.25" floppies :). I'm only there a few times a year so next time I get over there I'll try to find it! Unfortunately, it won't install anything earlier than 3.X because its emulating a newer version of DOS. However, It HAS been running my old games absolutely flawlessly. My only gripe is that it doesn't have joystick support yet - that's coming in version 1.01, so xwing and tie fighter are hard to play :) I've been having a BLAST playing Hugo III: Jungle of Doom, though! I've also thought about trying to make Windows 95 work, but I don't think I'm gonna. But if any of you guys want to and get it working, I'd love to see a screen shot! If anyone wants to try boxer, here's a link. Boxer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Might have to dig out some of my old games from my folk's house next time I'm back! Fortunately my mother hoards everything!

Reaction score
Problem

Hello everyone,

I was happy to experienced the Windows 3.1 on Boxer, it was much simplier than other virtual machine systems. But, I got one problem. The sound is working, thanks to a guy who made some drivers for Mac, but I can't have the video working. I'm a novice but I think the graphic card driver's missing.

I tried using this one : http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...810+Graphics+and+Memory+Controller+Hub+(GMCH)

But after the installation, when I'm at the control panel and I want to open ChipsCPL, this message appears: "Monitor definition file CHIPSCPL.INI does not exist." And no videos working.

I have a Macbook Air (june 2012) with OS 10.8.2, Graphics : "Intel HD Graphics 4000" but I don't know if it's the pertinent component.

How did you succeed with your versions?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.