• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Don't be left behind: 5 Mac apps that won't make the Lion cut

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
None of them I even use anymore....

Reaction score
Grandmother has been looking for an excuse to switch to Mac, but because of Intuit's excuses with being this far behind on the Mac...she still uses Windows.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just read earlier this morning that Apple is working with Quicken to make that version work on Lion.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If Intuit had hired someone to do a job and 5 years later it still wasn't accomplished, Intuit would have done already fired them.

Intuit has had 5 1/2 years. It's time they get fired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
It also means saying goodbye to Starcraft 1, MacTheRipper 2.66, the free version of EasyWMA, Disk Inventory X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The guy who develops MTR needs to get off his rear and finish V3.X and release it. It's been a "paid Beta" for several years now and frankly he seems to be a tool.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I actually do run Office 2004 on some of my older Mac's...but these are G3, G4, and G5 iMacs, a couple Powermac G4's, a Powermac G5, as well as a G3 iBook & a Powerbook G4. These "puppies" can't be upgraded to Lion anyway (or Snow Leopard for that matter)...so no troubles!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
i use Quicken, so I either need to find an alternative or upgrade I guess

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The guy who develops MTR needs to get off his rear and finish V3.X and release it. It's been a "paid Beta" for several years now and frankly he seems to be a tool.

I thought it was bought out by some company... i believe they are up to MTR4, but its a paid app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought it was bought out by some company... i believe they are up to MTR4, but its a paid app.

Hmmm...didn't know that. If it's a paid App then good riddance. The developer who sold out should rot in a special corner of a very hot place.

EDIT: It is up to V4 and it's the same guy. If you want V4 you have to join his new forum and either PAY to become a member or show proof that you have "donated" to him before (a screenshot of your pay-pal history page is what he needs). Wow, this guy is a complete tool and has pretty much ceased being open source. His suggested "gift" price? $40. Again, good riddance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hmmm...didn't know that. If it's a paid App then good riddance. The developer who sold out should rot in a special corner of a very hot place.

EDIT: It is up to V4 and it's the same guy. If you want V4 you have to join his new forum and either PAY to become a member or show proof that you have "donated" to him before (a screenshot of your pay-pal history page is what he needs). Wow, this guy is a complete tool and has pretty much ceased being open source. His suggested "gift" price? $40. Again, good riddance.

People's sense of privilege surrounding projects they've never made any meaningful contribution to is mind-boggling. That said, I don't like developers pretending a required contribution is anything but a fee. It's the same reason I discourage everyone from using NeoOffice these days, though in that case it's also because the official Mac port of OpenOffice has rendered that project meaningless.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

completely agree.

his authorisation system is mind bogglingly stupid aswell. release it on MAS, i might buy it. right now, no chance in **** of getting me to join a forum to run a heavily DRMed product.

Reaction score
I came across this link from another post on this board. It lists most software in use and has some preliminaries on what will and will not work. Also go to system profile and look at your apps. If they say Intel or Universal then they should work. Those that say PPC will need to be upgraded or replaced.

App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I came across this link from another post on this board. It lists most software in use and has some preliminaries on what will and will not work. Also go to system profile and look at your apps. If they say Intel or Universal then they should work. Those that say PPC will need to be upgraded or replaced.

App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps

Nice find verdejt +rep for that and have it booked marked. Certainly make it easier and less stress having a list like that on hand. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People's sense of privilege surrounding projects they've never made any meaningful contribution to is mind-boggling.

I'm not sure what your implication is supposed to be in that sentence. If it is intended to mean that I feel I have some sense of entitlement to this particular project, I don't.

This truly used to be "free and open source" software. It no longer is. I'd pay for the software if I could try it and see the benefits. The dev isn't doing that but instead expects to be paid up front for an unknown. No sense of entitlement there, just an expectation of knowing what I am paying for when I pay that "gift" for access. His somewhat draconian secrecy measures leave a bad impression of what used to be good software.

Reaction score
I just read earlier this morning that Apple is working with Quicken to make that version work on Lion.

Yeah, I read the same thing somewhere along the way over the last couple of days. IIRC, I believe they are actually working to embed some Rosetta code into Quicken 7 to enable it in Lion. Pretty fascinating approach, I thought, though it still left me wondering whey in the world they don't just re-write the program. Obviously not seen as financially worth the investment...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
In this link provided by verdejt, it states that office 08 and 11 has been tested and has some problems.
Does this mean that once they sort out the bugs, I'm good to go with my Office 08?
I was under the impression that due to the lack of Rosetta with Lion, that I would be out of luck.

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table/tags/_m/index_tags/_m

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.