Audio icon turns grey, no control

Reaction score
This just started yesterday after using Garageband and Logic at the same time...don't know if that is any indication of what's going on, but hey.

Like the post title says, my audio icon in the toolbar has turned grey, when it should be black. When I hit the audio up/down buttons on the keyboard, it shows the bar being full and a crossed-circle indicating I cannot alter the volume.

I've already checked in the sound settings and it appears my only audio output is "Name: Digital Out Type: Optical digital-out port"

Also, while music is playing the headphone jack has a red light illuminated inside...

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forum. Not sure why and how it happens but it does. If you have a look at this thread in the Apple Support Forum you might get a idea yourself.

MBP audio no longer plays from my speakers...Optical light stays on.

Basically if you can insert a toothpick or something similar in size and strong inside the headphone jack and rest the sensor and all should be ok.
If you have any more ?'s be sure to return and ask away. :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.