Mighty Mouse has problems with scrolling

Reaction score
Hi there,

I use a Mighty Mouse, but recently it has problems with scrolling down. The ball turns but nothing happens. I exchanged mine with one from my collegues, both worked at his MAC but not on mine. Is there an adjustment I can have done by accident that is the reason?? :Confused:

Thank you for sour help! Best wishes,
Annika

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
System Preferences -> Mouse. Check the scrolling speed setting. If it's set all the way to the left, that will turn off scrolling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It needs a good clean.

Put some dilute cleaning fluid on a paper towel, but not too much. Forgive the double entendre but rub the nipple vigorously, turning it around all of its surface until you have given the nipple a good clean workout.

Once any dirt has been dislodged the scrolling will work again

You can also use a wooden cocktail stick or similar to get at any dirt inside by depressing the nipple and gently working the point around the inside

OP
W
Reaction score
It needs a good clean.
Thank you a lot, that helped :) The fact that the second mouse worked the same way after attaching it to my MAC irritated me.

I turned the mouse upside down and rubbed the nipple in all directions on a plain sheet of paper. Now the scrolling works as clean as at the beginning. Thanx!

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread.

But to anyone who is having mighty mouse scrolling issues, which is every single mighty mouse user.
cleaning, scrolling on piece of paper...etc. all that stuff is good for 10 minutes tops.
i got sick of it. and i found a permanent solution.
if you want a fix here it is.

Watch Videos Online | How to clean an Apple Mighty Mouse - Take-apart guide | Veoh.com

Do that. it works. perfectly. scrolls like day one.

with all the cleaning methods you think you've cleaned it but i opened mine and oh my god... there was more junk in there, greater mass than the actual ball. no wonder the poor thing didnt scroll.

it was fairy simple to open and put back together.

Goodluck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.