am i missing something with Cloud/Mobile Me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
hi all, it looks as if Mobile Me is on the way out and iCloud is on the way in, and lots of folk use them.

They do come at a price though, i think Mobile Me is currently £60 a year, but as regards the STORAGE on these utilities, surely it has got to be more economical to use your own Web Hosting companies Web Space along with your own domain name ?.

Or am i missing something ?.

i have only been a Switcher for a few months, the current iCloud utility doesn't give much Web Space at all unless you want to pay for it, but i already have unlimited Web Space with my Domain Name !.

Perhaps there is an App that will let me use iCloud features with my own Web Space ?

tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
C

chas_m

But yes, besides the price you are waaay missing something, and it's called VALUE.

If you look at almost any ONE part of MobileMe, it seems overpriced. And if you're only going to use one part of it, it probably IS overpriced.

But that's a bit like saying that a PC is an awfully expensive calculator.

They automatic syncing, the integration with apps, the ease of use and the lack of ads and snooping -- among other factors -- add value to Mobile Me.

Yeah, I can cobble together a bunch of different services -- all needing their own logins, fees and adblockers -- and replicate some or most of Mobile Me's features for something a bit less than the Amazon price for MM (which was usually QUITE a bit lower than the retail price). True. Indeed, I have a GMail account and a Dropbox account and a Flickr account, just as examples. But I've always felt that MM was a better value, even as competition finally (a decade later) emerged.

But I doubt they'll be able to beat free plus integrated plus NO ADS. So bring on iCloud, I say!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're comparing apples to oranges here unless you're only concerned with the web hosting component in which case having your own domain is a much better deal. MM/iCloud is a collection of services least of which is the ability to sync content across devices that have support built-in. While you could develop your own such system, most can't (nor integrate it as well) and this is where MM/iCloud comes in.

If you want to roll your own, go for it (could be a fun project). If not, it's hard to argue with the integration and price of MM/iCloud.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hiya Lads, thanks very much for your opinions on this subject, i was of course only thinking of the Storage side, i perhaps don't fully appreciate all the other features/goodies that are also available.

I did get put off by Mobile Me when i found out it was £60 a year, every year. BUT NOW we have the official Apple version of iCloud on the horizon, i shall definitely go for that, as it does appear to be much cheaper per year with a lot more space than the current iCloud.

BTW, the existing iCloud App company aren't going to be very pleased when Apple start there iCloud App going !!! unless, again, i am missing something, LOL.

tim

C

chas_m

Apple bought at least one company called iCloud outright. Don't know what one you're talking about I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
iCloud has dominated the Apple homepage of late, does anybody know where the movie trailers have moved to??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch
After hours of wrestling to get MobieMe to work I gave in and called Tech Support. The rep told me MobileMe is not accepting any new accounts.
My iPod Touch is two days old and I feel left out in left field.
Also use an eight month old iMac and happy with it, but the sync features of MM will be missed and iCloud isn't due out until Fall. Bummer!
What are my alternatives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
MM still works for those who have it. Just wait until iCloud is released and you'll have what you want, mostly for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.