Lagging on live

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
So as I play Halo Reach on xBox Live (wired from my Airport Ex Bs) sometimes my wife or daughter streams Netflix on an iPhone 4.

Since I have pieced together from this forum that the iPhone doesn't 'mesh' with the 5GHz N band the Ap Ex Bs is putting out (the only band I have set up.. No guest network at the moment), I have had an idea.

2 questions regarding the idea.
If I set the guest 2.4GHz band up and changed our iPhones to sign onto that one would....
1. The iPhones notice any speed decreases during Netflix, Hulu, Pandora etc.?

2. The xbox not lag as much?

I'm not sure how it would solve my lagging.
I imagine the internet as data flowing much as water would. So if Comcast is giving me 15 GB/s or w/e I have (the min) and then have that travel from them to my condo>cat 5 in the condo>my wall plate>my modem>my Ap Ex Bs>. Then split that to the wired xbox
And the wifi to our phones
It just seems that it is dividing the water flow, as it were, through different pipes?
Or did I imagine a fix to my minor problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's not the iPhone doesn't "mesh" with it, it's simply that it only does N in the 2.4Ghz mode but not in the 5Ghz mode. If you have a dual band capable AP Extreme you can simply make sure the 2.4Ghz side is set up and let the iPhones etc use that.

The 2.4Ghz band wouldn't be a "guest" network, it's the same network working simultaneously in the 2.4Ghz band while the 5Ghz band is also running. The net effect is to separate but connected networks running from the same AP Ext Bs. This is exactly what I have done at home.

As for lagging, what kind of security do you have set on your Bs? For best speed throughput go with WPA2 Personal. Keep in mind that the throughput capabilities of your internal home network are far greater than that of your internet connection (54Mbs+ vs 15Mbs-) so while your analogy is a good one the lag isn't likely within your network but from your ISP.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
To answer your question, I have WPA2 -just checked it in the Airport Utility.
I think I follow you, the Bs has the ability to move data at XMb/s and my ISP is pushing it out at XMb/s<Router's Throughput. So if the ISP isn't sending it at the speed great enough to run Netflix, and xBox live at the same time it will manifest as lagging on my xBox end (POSSIBLY also because it is the only process of the 2-live and netflix- that would upload any noticeable amount of data??.. just a thought).

I did at one time have a 'step up' speed connection from my ISP, but didn't notice any difference. But, at the time, we may not have been using Netflix simultaneously as I played my xBox.

To be clear, you don't think adding the 2nd band for our mobiles would help me? Since I was on par with my metaphor? But rather increasing the ISP internet connection speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Correct.

Adding the second band would allow the iPhones to connect since they only do 2.4Ghz and not 5Ghz. It won't improve the speed beyond your modem since that lies with your ISP. You can run some speed tests to see what you actual speeds are like and see if you are getting close to what you are supposed to have.

Speedtest.net - Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.