• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Time Machine vs. iCloud

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new mac user. Got a MacBook Pro last year, but my daughter usurped it. I switched my office computers from PCs to iMacs this year and couldn't be happier with the heightened security and stability. However, I have a question about Time Machine. I've been reading about iCloud which will be coming out in the Fall. From what I gather, the iCloud will store practically every file you create or add to the iMacs, etc. Therefore, what's the point of getting Time Machine? Sorry if this question seems naive, but as I said I'm relatively new to the mac community.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm a relatively new mac user. Got a MacBook Pro last year, but my daughter usurped it. I switched my office computers from PCs to iMacs this year and couldn't be happier with the heightened security and stability. However, I have a question about Time Machine. I've been reading about iCloud which will be coming out in the Fall. From what I gather, the iCloud will store practically every file you create or add to the iMacs, etc. Therefore, what's the point of getting Time Machine? Sorry if this question seems naive, but as I said I'm relatively new to the mac community.
You can do a restore from Time Machine if a HD fails, relatively painless and quick process. You may be able to restore from the cloud, but I shudder to think how long that would take unless your Internet connection is uber-fast.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'd also be worried about cost a bit. Even for a small business that would seem to need a lot of space even for a small business especially if you are needing the ability to go back in time like Time Machine provides. Seems like Apple would have to charge for that.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm still playing catch up as I haven't gone through all the announcements made at the WWDC yet - but I don't see iCloud and Time Machine as the same thing. At least not yet. While they may be somewhat on converging paths - they're still quite a ways from that. While iCloud will be able to keep track of all of your SW purchases through iTunes as well as your music (should you choose that option) - there are still plenty of things that iCloud doesn't do. While I'd expect to see some of those additional features become available with Lion AND a new Time Capsule (in otherwords bringing some cloud level functionality to your network and locally stored) we're still in a situation where there's a clear need for a local backup and Time Machine is optimum for that. It will back up all your files - whether part of a program that supports revs or not, as well as your other SW (non-iTunes downloaded) and music since not everyone will have every song in the cloud...etc. etc. The point is - iCloud and TimeMachine - aren't performing the same functions. There maybe some areas of overlap - but you still need TimeMachine. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The two are not even in the same realm. There is no "vs" between these two items.

There is no "restore" function of iCloud to OS X.
It does backup and will restore an iDevice. But, not everything. Even with an iDevice, you're still going to need a backup on the computer for the rest of your pictures, all of your videos, and many other things.

Anyone confused really should read what it will do (which is still pretty amazing when considered it is free) - link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.