Is now the time to get an iPad?

Reaction score
Sorry if I put this in the wrong section but I am kinda new. I'm thinking about getting the iPad 2 and I was just wondering if anyone had an idea when the iPad 3 will be released. I don't have an iPad 1 so this will be the first iPad that I will get. I know that apple products have a high resell value so I figure that if a new one comes out I can just get a new one after I sell the old one but I was just wondering what you guys think about this? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Only Apple knows when the iPad 3 is going to be released. Most likely it won't be released for some time since the iPad 2 was just released a couple months ago.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This is age old thing that we go through constantly..Apple product revision N is currently available, people wonder when product version N+1 will be available and if they should wait..our answer is usually what Kash said..

So, rather, look at the features of the iPad 2, do they appeal to you? Do you think you can do what you want with what it can do? If so, go buy it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Still using gen 1 and liking it. Have you picked one up and used it thats all it took for me ?

Reaction score
Who knows what their product roadmap looks like.. If it meets your needs, pick one up.. If you're trying to get ahead of technology - get ready to loose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
2 was released in April. Safe bet that 3 won't come out until first half (probably first quarter) of 2012. That's just a guesstimate, but a pretty safe one nonetheless.
Wait 9 months for 3, or get 2 today and start enjoying it immediately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If its like most of their products unless you are willing to update every cycle you can never stay ahead just get and enjoy what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Shop around - if you've not owned an iPad before, consider getting a first gen. I've seen the 64GB+3g version for $300 less than the comparable iPad 2. It's still a great device, and it'll get you ready for the next version without taking a huge hit on resale if you decide to upgrade later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Actually, I saw a report on NY1 just last night saying that current iPad 2 owners are going to be ticked off because the iPad 3 is set to be released sometime in the 4th quarter of this year. The resolution is said to be 4x better, for whatever that is worth.

And no, this is not a joke.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I saw a report on NY1 just last night saying that current iPad 2 owners are going to be ticked off because the iPad 3 is set to be released sometime in the 4th quarter of this year. The resolution is said to be 4x better, for whatever that is worth.

And no, this is not a joke.

Doug

I don't know anything about the resolution on the iPad 3, but there's no way Apple would release iPad 2 and 3 in the same calendar year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I don't know anything about the resolution on the iPad 3, but there's no way Apple would release iPad 2 and 3 in the same calendar year.

Are you willing to do something silly at my whimsy if they do? ;P

Doug

C

chas_m

MYmacROX is probably right, actually, so you may not like the flip side of that bet!

The rumour that a future iPad was going to get "retina display" type jump in graphics has been around since the day after the iPad 1 came out. In reality-land, nobody can figure out how to put a 4x better display into an iPad for under a grand, so you would think sensible people would figure out that this story probably isn't true. You would think.

Still, there are people who love to float stories like this to manipulate the stock price, and suckers who will believe them in the face of logic. Will the iPad get a screen upgrade? Maybe at some point, seems likely.

Will be it 4X higher than the current screen requiring every single developer (including Apple) to rewrite every single app in the App Store, with no forewarning? Duh, hmmm, um, well ...

I don't live in New York, but I know what NY1 is (... a time filler). Either you misheard the report and they were just repeating a rumour, or they're just bored and making stuff up for fun, but most likely they are one of the suckers I just referred to.

The iPad 2 is selling so well that Apple can barely keep up with demand to such an extent that all manufacturers are having trouble getting components, but I'm supposed to believe that Apple will launch a *second* model just weeks after having introduced the iPad 2? Really?

I think speculation is fun, and of course Apple prides itself on being unpredictable, but seriously.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Doug

Please say yes - and the wager has to go both ways - and make sure it gets to YouTube :p We need a little fun around here. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Doug

I'm not a betting man. Sorry, I didn't mean my comment as a challenge. Just reasoning on how unlikely the release of two iterations of an Apple product in the same year would be. :)
But feel free to offer to do something funny if the iPad 3 doesn't come out in 2011. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.