Recording with Cubase Essential6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7. 750GB 5400-rpm Hard drive. 4GB Memory 15.4"
I cannot hear sound from my input on my MacBook Pro

....O.k here goes?......I have installed Cubase Essential 6 onto my MacBook Pro, everything is working like a dream but when I add an input to the mix i cannot "hear" what is connected. It receives & records fine but i need to be able to hear it in order to play in sync & add layers of harmony etc......

Playback of the background tracks is all good, I have searched high & low to correct the problem - Audio / Midi & Sound Setup on the MBP, Device setup on Cubase......I am stumped! I seriously would appreciate some help - I specifically invested in my MBP for the sole purpose to record Multi tracks........I really hope there is a remedy........a cheap remedy!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
what hardware are you using?

OP
Mimmy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7. 750GB 5400-rpm Hard drive. 4GB Memory 15.4"
......hey rob! thanx 4 the reply - I use an 8 channel Alto mixing console - phantom powered, connected by way of a stereo RCA to the MBP line in. I'm also using a Rode condenser.

I think I have the right hardware but not the right formula to hook it all up?

I'm sort of new to the MBP - it's an awesome machine!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you are recording the tape outputs of a 8 channel mixing console into the stereo line in of your Macbook?

okay, no driver issues.

Am I right in saying you want to monitor what is coming through so you can add tracks to that already recorded? your post is a little cryptic.

I have no experience with cubase, but you need to plug some headphones into the headphone port of your mac, and also maybe select input monitoring on the tracks you wish to hear.

If this is not the issue, and you wanted to record multiple tracks individual of each other, you need to get an audio interface, unless that alto mixer has USB or firewire support. at the moment you are just recording what is known as a "bounced" version of what is being played.

OP
Mimmy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is correct I want to monitor vocals / instruments as well as the playback, I just don't hear the input - it records fine as an individual track.

I'll have a look at the input monitoring, I've never had to do that in the past?

I thought about whether or not a USB interface might be the way to go with MBP, I'll look over the Cubase monitoring again. Thanks for your input

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what are your audio midi setup settings, and also your audio device settings in Cubase. screenshots if you can.

also, where are you plugging your headphones into.

OP
Mimmy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have some screenshots but don't know how to insert them?

I plug my headphones in the MBP headphone input. On Cubase I activate the built in input when trying a mic or the built in mic for direct - they both respond well in cubase!

In the audio devices of the MBP I do the same, I have activated them both & once again no problem with response - just no sound. Playback is good of the recorded input.

Be cool if you can give me some instructions to upload some screenshots

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
quick question, is this a 13" MBP, with one Audio input and output?

If so you need to manually switch between input and output via system preferences.

The reason im saying this is because you keep referring to the headphone jack as an "input", when its actually an output. unless you have it set to input via sys pref.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.