New to broadband+wireless routers...help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20'' 2.0GHz 2gb Ram 400gb HDD
My friend just ordered broadband from demon, so thats step 1 out the way. Since He is paying, i need to get the gear, he has a pc and i have a imac g5.
Basically i need to by 1 wireless pc card for him, and a wireless adsl modem router so he can initially set it up with his pc, and then i can share the connection.

Firstly is it easy for me to to the above?, Secondly what is the best wireless kit to buy that is easiest to set up on a mac, as he knows a bit about pc's, but neither of us know much about macs, P.S Money is no object.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Get an Airport Extreme and any garden variety 802.11g WIFI card. Perhaps a Linksys WMP54G.

Yes they are easy to install and setup. That is unless your VCR still flashes 12:00. Then I would ask you to not attempt it.

A cheaper router would be a Linksys WRT54G.

I would suggest a modem but you didn't mention if the broadband was cable, DSL or other. If it's cable try the Linksys BEFCMU10, but most providers will offer some low end modem that you either sign a term for or they lease to you.

Y

Yeungster

Usually if you're using a router, you need a computer temporarily hard-wired to the router to be able to access the main router control panel. From this panel you should be able to adjust your wireless connection methods, and allow you to choose what type of wireless encryption etc to use.

Also remember that as the router is non airport, the passkey (for encryption) should you choose to have it on, requires you to add a "#" before the passkey, on certain versions of OS X. This was not documented officially, but tells the mac not to auto-assign a code.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.