Write a script that will automatically import .ics to iCal

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me figure out how this iCal works! I've scoured the web and can't find a single solution! I'm trying to sync up my iCal on my home and work computers (the cheap way - without .mac). I've got the first half working, which is the work calendar publishes to icalx.com and I've got a script on the home computer that will get the calendar .ics file from icalx.com. But once I have the .ics, I can't figure out how to get it to programatically import into iCal.

Initially, I thought if I just overwrote the files in /Library/Calendar that it would work, but for some reason it's not - there must be more files somewhere else that it's reading from because as a test I deleted the whole Calendar folder and iCal still opened up with all the events and recreated the original folder. Anyway, I did a manual import of my .ics file that I downloaded from icalx.com and that worked perfectly, so I would like to figure out how to script it to run by itself! Anybody have any suggestions?

By the way, I'm using version 4.0.1 if that makes a difference.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think you're trying to put much more effort into this than you really need. Why not use something like Google Calendar to sync calendars across Macs (instructions here).

OP
N
Reaction score
I tried the google thing too, altho I may not have explored every possibility, but it didn't seem like I could have multiple calendars, like how I have "work" and "home" and "birthdays".

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
On the left hand side, there is a link under the list of calendars called "Add." You can use that add calendars.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.