Is there actually a fix for the terrible audio/recording in Bootcamp?

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro 13". I am running Windows XP 32-bit with Bootcamp 3.2.

The output volume is less than half of what I would get while running OSX, and the recording sound all comes out mostly sub-3KHz, bassy, boomy, deep, like Darth Vader or something.

I've looked all over for updates and patches, and tried a couple and nothing seems to work! I am frustrated, because the main reason I got Windows was to play a wider variety of online games and use Voice over IP to communicate with teammates and friends. Has Apple just left it? Can they not just get Cirrus Audio to make a fix?

Thanks, and sorry if this has appeared 1000x before.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
and you have updated the bootcamp drivers to the latest version?

OP
S
Reaction score
The latest drivers which are applicable to my hardware, I'm pretty sure. Bootcamp 3.2 is the latest for 2009 MacBook pros.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but then you updated Bootcamp + drivers via the Windows side also, after loading the drivers from the install disc?

Im only asking because the previous gen MBPs had audio problems which were fixed via an update, yours may be on the list.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah I installed from the disc, then on the Windows side got all the updates from the Apple Support site

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you checked your audio settings in control panel?

have you accidentally set an EQ or something?

OP
S
Reaction score
No, it is the audio software. It is a known problem with some batches of 2009 MBPs, and I've seen other threads detailing the exact same problem. However, these were all from 2009 and rather than necro an old thread I thought I'd ask if there was a fix yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.