AEBS - Power via USB to external hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi All

I have an AEBS in the loft with an external Toshiba hard drive connected to the USB of the AEBS. I use this drive as the Time Machine for both my iMac & Mini and have had no problems backing up to it.

Today, the hard drive has died, and I wondered if I would be OK to buy a hard drive that uses USB power from the AEBS rather than one with a power brick. The one that has just died had a power brick and if I can get away without using one, then all the better.

Any thoughts?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi All

I have an AEBS in the loft with an external Toshiba hard drive connected to the USB of the AEBS. I use this drive as the Time Machine for both my iMac & Mini and have had no problems backing up to it.

Today, the hard drive has died, and I wondered if I would be OK to buy a hard drive that uses USB power from the AEBS rather than one with a power brick. The one that has just died had a power brick and if I can get away without using one, then all the better.

Any thoughts?

Great question. I checked the Apple Website:

AirPort Extreme Base Station - Apple Store (U.S.)

And the User Manual for the AEBS:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/airportextreme_802.11n_userguide.pdf

And neither resource states the power output of the AEBS's USB port. I'm thinking that if you use an external HD that was meant for a laptop (2.5") that it probably consumes very little power...and would probably be ok.

Give it a try...and see what happens.:)

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. One "low-tech" way to check on things is...put your hand on the AEBS without an HD connected (note the temperature)...then plug in the USB HD (no power brick HD)...leave it plugged in for a while (let's say an hour)...then check the temp again. If it doesn't seem much different...everything's probably ok.

Obviously if you plug in the USB HD...and it doesn't work/operate...then I guess you got your answer as well!;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.