Win XP install gets stuck & I cant do anything

Reaction score
Hello.Ive been having a MacBook for about 4 months and I decided to get a windows xp partition on it.So I followed apple's bootcamp guide,made a 50 gb partition and everything went well untill the actuall install.Ive waited hours and nothing happened,there remained the "Setup will complete in aproximately 29 minutes" message.I desperately looked on the internet for sollutions and I tried restarting:windows install automatically prompts and no matter what I do (booted from cd,installed,repaired,quitted the installation) I keep getting the same result:stuck on 29 mins left and have no possibility of turning back to my snow leopard.
Now I dont care about the win xp,I just want to get back to my mac operating system.Can anyone give me some useful advice?I badly need to fix this as soon as possible.Any help highly appreciated.
Update:I tried to repair it after booting from cd but it ran out of battery and died.Now when I open it and dont boot from cd I get the following message :" Windows could not start because of an error in the software...load needed DLLs for kernel".I completely screwed it up,right?

Reaction score
What kind of XP disc did you use? If it was not either a full retail install of XP or a system builder's OEM you were going to have problems. Not also that recent MBPs don't support XP. Here is the knowledge base item on that: MacBook Air (Late 2010), MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and iMac (Mid 2011): System requirements for Microsoft Windows 7

Either of those two issues likely accounts for your installation problem.

Always have your Mac plugged in when doing stuff like this, BTW ...

As to getting back to OSX, restart your MB and hit Option when you get the chime. You should get the option to boot into OSX or Windows. Pick OSX, and once booted up, launch Boot Camp Assistant (but don't launch Windows or try to, just the assistant, it's in the utilities folder) and choose the option to restore your hard drive. That will get rid of the errant WinXP installation.

Then you can start over with the correct disc and/or version of windows for your machine.

If those don't work, please post back.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help :).You were right,the CD was a complete waste of time.It was just a copy of windows.Anyways,I tried the option key which didn't work BUT ejecting the windows CD pressing down the mouse did.I've seen other people still having trouble after ejecting,but in my case everything was ok after I got the CD out.Thanks again.

Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted - didn't realize from your original post that the CD was still in there!

Cheers

Reaction score
What kind of XP disc did you use? If it was not either a full retail install of XP or a system builder's OEM you were going to have problems. Not also that recent MBPs don't support XP. Here is the knowledge base item on that: MacBook Air (Late 2010), MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and iMac (Mid 2011): System requirements for Microsoft Windows 7

Either of those two issues likely accounts for your installation problem.

Always have your Mac plugged in when doing stuff like this, BTW ...

As to getting back to OSX, restart your MB and hit Option when you get the chime. You should get the option to boot into OSX or Windows. Pick OSX, and once booted up, launch Boot Camp Assistant (but don't launch Windows or try to, just the assistant, it's in the utilities folder) and choose the option to restore your hard drive. That will get rid of the errant WinXP installation.

Then you can start over with the correct disc and/or version of windows for your machine.

If those don't work, please post back.

Glad I read this!!!!!
I know XP is old-hat now, but it still has a large user base. Me for one. Why do we think Apple do not support it's installation now?
Does anyone know if there is a way round this on newer Macs?
I recently downloaded their support doc for Bootcamp, and it still quotes (quoted) XP as a supported OS.

Any thoughts anyone?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad I read this!!!!!
I know XP is old-hat now, but it still has a large user base. Me for one. Why do we think Apple do not support it's installation now?
Does anyone know if there is a way round this on newer Macs?
I recently downloaded their support doc for Bootcamp, and it still quotes (quoted) XP as a supported OS. Any thoughts anyone?

The support DOC is outdated.

The reason XP is not supported on new Macs is because there are no XP Windows drivers for the new hardware. As you may or may not know, the Windows driver model changed when Vista was published; Windows 7 uses the same driver model as Vista. And that driver model is not compatible with XP.

Technology moves forward not backwards. Apple is not obligated to provide XP drivers for their newer hardware. Besides that, Windows 7 is more secure, can run in true 64 bit mode (64 bit version) and is better supported by MS.

You can still run XP on the latest Mac hardware but only if you use virtual machine software. (Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.