Network setup, help needed

Reaction score
Hello all, i was wondering if the airport extreme would work as a bridge from the main wireless router(the one that came with verizon)the reason is i want to connect my External HDD and my PS3 to it, so i can back up stuff from my pc and macbook, the reason why i cannot replace the main router is cuz its not my house :p, so the AP extreme would act like a wireless bridge with a different encryption? or if that cant be done would this work
Internet<<Ethernet>>Verizon router<<Wireless>>Airport Express<<Ethernet>>Airport extreme>>Ethernet>>Computers and hard drive
thank u all so much:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Should be able to. I use a Time Capsule (which has the AExtreme). I run 100' ethernet from the main router to the TC in bridge mode so that the primary router still does all the DHCP duties even for the 2nd wifi network.

I did try this via wifi as an experiment a couple of years ago as a test and was able to get it working. I couldn't list the exact steps I used any longer, but seems it wasn't all that hard to do.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Hello all, i was wondering if the airport extreme would work as a bridge from the main wireless router(the one that came with verizon)the reason is i want to connect my External HDD and my PS3 to it, so i can back up stuff from my pc and macbook, the reason why i cannot replace the main router is cuz its not my house :p, so the AP extreme would act like a wireless bridge with a different encryption? or if that cant be done would this work
Internet<<Ethernet>>Verizon router<<Wireless>>Airport Express<<Ethernet>>Airport extreme>>Ethernet>>Computers and hard drive
thank u all so much:)

It looks like you're actually trying to use an Airport Express as a wireless bridge to the Verizon router - which, to the best of my knowledge, will not work. The Express can only be used that way with other Airport devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am using the AEBS as a wireless bridge with Uverse because of the architecture of Uverse it can't be set in bridge mode and it works fine you still get all the settings available you just let their router/modem distribute ip's.
WIRELESS MODE - CREATE A WIRELESS NETWORK
INTERNET CONNECTION - CONNECT USING ETHERNET
CONNECTION SHARING - OFF ( BRIDGE MODE )
TCP/IP - CONFIG IPv4 - USING DHCP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.