Learning Javascript

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
I'm just wondering what, in your individual opinions, is the best way to learn to write your own javascript? I've learned html and css pretty easily through websites like w3schools but I can't seem to find anything online that teaches javascript in a way that I can keep up with it. Maybe it's just not my thing, that has yet to be seen. I really just want to start a discussion about different methods to learn as a beginner.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Give this a try. I haven't read it (although it might be nice to learn some JS) but it looks well thought out and up to date (bottom of the page notes that it was updated 11 days ago). There's also this overview from the Mozilla developer network which should be helpful.

Do you have any programming experience (HTML and CSS don't count)?

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I don't have any programming experience. I learned html and css kind of on a whim not too long ago and realized I actually really enjoyed it. Javascript is really just the next step for me with web design but I'm interested in programming as well so if I can get js down I may try to branch out.

EDIT: That mozilla link looks really good! Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Read it slowly then and feel free to come back if you need clarification. As a piece of advice - if a concept confuses you (such as variables), look at tutorials that discuss variables, regardless of language, so you can better understand the concept. Once you've got an understanding of the concept, you can look at how it's done in JS. Most of the basic concepts are pretty easy though although you'll likely get frustrated when they don't work (isn't that part of the fun?). ;)

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool stuff, thanks for the help! I think the hardest part is how different js is from html and css. I mean it's obvious that they're going to be different but I think I have been trying to learn them the same way. I'm gonna try slowing down like you said.

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've learned quite a bit from both of those links. Thank you very much, rep going your way. I also stumbled upon an interesting video series that's pretty helpful, especially if you're more of a visual learner. I haven't gotten completely through the series or the links you posted but in combination they are all doing a wonderful job and I've learned alot.

Here is the video series for anyone that wants it.

Reaction score
One thing that really helps when learning a new language is actually writing it. I just started learning PHP and none of it was really sticking until I started writing it -- even making mistakes and seeing your errors is immensely helpful. You can use a local server to write/code and to see your code in action (e.g. I used MAMP to install PHP and set up my own little local server).

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Creepy creepy creepy dude! I just started php :p

Reaction score
You should definitely look into MAMP then, it's great for developing and practicing!

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I've got Mamp, took me a while to get it working right but I've got it now. I've learned most datatypes. I've got a long way to go though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
Man, you should definately try Lynda.com, it`s video trainings and you can find every subject you want, javascript, php, mySql and so on, I have almost 20 of their training videos, it helps a lot! you can find some trainings over the internet, if you like, go and buy it!

Cheers!

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah someone on a different forum pointed me to lynda.com unfortunately I'm a broke college student that can't afford a subscription when web design isn't bringing any money in for me. Looks wonderful though!

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I've been doing quite a bit with jquery. Still not 100% comfortable with it but I'm pretty good. I've managed to do everything that I need for now. I think my biggest problem is I understand all the different parts that make up languages (javascript, jquery, php). I understand the datatypes, most of the functions, loops, if statements, all that. I just can't figure out how to make them work in a way that's useful haha

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It'll be hard for jQuery to replace Javascript seeing as how it is Javascript. ;)

I feel like he's right about jquery replacing it as a web standard though. It obviously can't be used without javascript but it will be more widely accepted and used than pure js

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jQuery can only do so much given that it's written in JS. It's also only one amongst many JS libraries including, but not limited to, Prototype, Scriptaculous, MooTools and YUI.

There's no doubt that jQuery is good but given that it can only do so much, it'll never replace JS. Since it is what jQuery is written in, JS can do what jQuery can and more.

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jQuery can only do so much given that it's written in JS. It's also only one amongst many JS libraries including, but not limited to, Prototype, Scriptaculous, MooTools and YUI.

There's no doubt that jQuery is good but given that it can only do so much, it'll never replace JS. Since it is what jQuery is written in, JS can do what jQuery can and more.

Right and I agree with that but I still think jquery will be more widely used. JS is great and can do everything jquery can and more, but when it comes down to it jquery is easier and because of that many people will want to use it instead of JS (I even have stumbled down that road. Although I want to learn pure JS I'm just struggling with it.) I think JS is and always will be more popular among programmers and purists but jquery will be more widely used simply because it's easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.