Backups???? Snow leopard / Parallels 5 / W7

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm totally confused with backups, even after searching around.

So, I've got a MBP 2011. Happy days.
I installed W7 via bootcamp, and then pointed Parallels 5 to it.

Is cloning the virtual machine via Parallels the same as backing it up within windows 7? I tried doing a test restore from image from within W7, and then Parallels freaked out, so it appears they have to move "in tandem".

If I clone via Parallels, will all my data be backed up? It says so, but I asking anyone who has actually done it, and RELIES on this system to protect their data? I'm going to try it before I accept it as reliable, but I want to ask first.

thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're running Parallels and have designated your Boot Camp installation of Windows 7 to be used as a VM, then the VM will be backed up by Time Machine. That is, if you're using Time Machine to make backups.

To make a backup of the Windows 7 partition separately, you can use WinClone or the Windows 7 backup program. The Windows 7 backup program can make an image of the partition to an external drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok, thanks.

But doing a restore *within W7* will mess-up the Parallels VM that is set up - correct? This seemed to happen with me, and I had to re-activate Windows after the restore. I could boot into W7 from start-up, but not in Parallels.

Do you know if Time Machine backs up the actual Boot Camp partition, or does Parallels make an image of that partition that lives on the OSX partition?

Do you know if Time Machine can restore individual files w/in the VM? I get the sense that a VM is some kind of opaque block, a package deal kind of thing.

I was a religious backer-upper on windows, with off-site copies and everything. Wrapping my head around my new mac OS and VM's is quite a learning curve. Thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's correct. Restoring Windows 7 using the Win 7 DVD and the image can cause fits within Parallels. Part of the hazards of using the BC partition as a VM. Both the VM and BC partition have to be in sync at all times or errors will occur.

Time Machine does not backup the BC partition, it only backs up OS X. I'm not sure if Parallels makes a snapshot image (Fusion does) but I would suspect that it has some way to restore the VM if it should become corrupt. You'll have to dig through the Parallels help to see if it does.

Time Machine can not restore individual files within the VM since the VM appears to Time Machine and OS X as one large file. It's all or nothing.

My recommendations (adjust to your needs accordingly):

If you're not running any graphic intensive or 3D applications (games, CAD, etc) that would require a hard boot into Windows 7, I suggest considering not using Boot Camp at all.

If you do decide you need the dual boot capability, then consider using WinClone to make your Windows 7 backups instead of the Windows 7 backup program which can possibly cause havoc with Parallels.

There is one caveat with using WinClone that you should be aware of though... The program is no longer being developed and it has been known to cause problems when restoring. However, lots of folks have used it and continue to use it without any difficulty, but you need to be aware anyway.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok - thanks. This stuff is dense.

I've heard about Winclone and it's always mentioned with a caveat, which is not what you want to hear about backup software. (they all have problems, I know, but..)

And I'm starting to get the feeling that you can install a VM *without* installing to Bootcamp, first - is this right? Or install to bootcamp and then "point" the VM to it...

Well, thanks for helping me along. Seems like there are no simple answers to it, and I'll just have to keep digging.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I'm starting to get the feeling that you can install a VM *without* installing to Bootcamp, first - is this right? Or install to bootcamp and then "point" the VM to it...

You do not need to install or setup Boot Camp before installing Virtual Machine software. As a matter of fact as I stated in my last reply, I recommend not using Boot Camp at all if your needs are simple. (No games, no 3D software or CAD)

I like to play around a lot and have both Fusion and Boot Camp running, however, I use Fusion to run XP and Boot Camp for Windows 7. (Adding to your confusion.) :) I'll probably blow away the Boot Camp partition here in the near future and just reinstall Windows 7 with Fusion. That will give me two virtual machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.