Reaching an AppleTalk Printer on a PC (IP) Network

D

devinened

Normally I am able print on a G4 Mac (OS 10.4.2) at my company that is networked to a LexMark Optra S using IP printing via a designated print server. Problems often occur with the server that prevents me from printing. My method for overcoming this relies on using another colleague's Mac located within a few feet of the printer using the AppleTalk printer setup. I am forced to resort to this method based on slow response times from our technical support. They don't seem to be aware that AppleTalk is available on this PostScript and that I have chosen to bypass their system.

Unfortunately at my desk location (linked through an ethernet closet from the printer) the AppleTalk option doesn't appear to be available. Is there any workaround or utlity that will allow me to communicate via AppleTalk to this printer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Confirm AppleTalk is active in your Network System Preference.
In the Priner Utility select Add then More Printers then from the drop down select AppleTalk

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.