• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What should I do? Hmm...

Reaction score
I am graduating from high school and my parents have promised me that I am getting a MacBook Pro 13'' as my present. Well, I told them to wait until June 6 to order it because I wanted to have the most recent software and operating system on my computer since Mac OS X Lion was coming out soon. I recently discovered that Apple sells a Family Pack for their operating systems. This allows up to 5 users in the same household to install the new software. So, my question unto all of you is: should I buy my MacBook Pro later, after June 6 so that it's up-to-date and top of the line. OR should I buy my MBP now and buy the family pack later so that my sister and others can benefit from that. Which should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I assume you'll be going to college this Fall? If so, then I would suggest waiting for the Back-to-School promo that Apple has every summer. You'll get the latest OS, plus something for free (the past few years it's been an iPod touch and/or a printer).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome . . .

As with any thread like this and other will agree. If you need it now but it now, if you dont and can afford to wait then wait.
We all know  doesnt let us know when things will be released so you could be waiting for nothing.
The MBP has only recently been upgraded so if its only for the OS you will be waiting for i say buy it now and then get the pack later.

My 2c

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, I will be attending college this fall. I've read recently that the Back to School event was supposed to be coming out sometime in the next week or so. If the promo deal is still before June 6 release date of Lion should I still buy my Mac before then with my free iPod touch/printer and also the Family Pack? I'm just trying to think which would be more economical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
C
Reaction score
OP meaning opening paragraph? Well anyways, will the Mac OS X Lion be released for purchase on June 6 or are they just displaying it and all of its features on that day?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
OP = Original Poster

I'm not sure what type of Macs your family has, but if their hardware is old, then they won't be able to upgrade to Lion. Though if it's relatively new, then of course they can. The Family Pack is only marginally more expensive than a Single User, so it's economical if you intend on installing it on 2 or more computers.

Also, not sure where you're getting this June 6 date as the release date since Apple has yet to announce the release date of Lion. However, the day Apple says it's going to be released is usually the same day it's available for sale. Finally, the Back-to-School sale usually starts around July/August.

OP
C
Reaction score
I just know that the WWDC is from June 6-June 10. So it has to be sometime during that date. Most sources say that they will present it on June 6.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I just know that the WWDC is from June 6-June 10. So it has to be sometime during that date. Most sources say that they will present it on June 6.

IMO get it with the back to school special and worry about Lion later.
Only Apple knows when it will be released or what discounts will be available. Most bang for your buck Will be the school special.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.