Iomega Portable Harddrive not showing

Reaction score
Hi - I've got a new drive - Iomega 500Gig - I've had it about 6 months and have barely used it.
I know that one time the icon showed up in the Finder on my Macbook Pro because I backed stuff up and I could see the folders that actually existed on it.
My memory on my computer is almost to the max so I want to move mostly photos and music files to the Iomega and get them off of my computer but the icon doesn't show up. It shows up in Disk Utility but I don't see anyway to access what is actually on the drive. I probably wouldn't want to reformat because I'd lose what is already on there.

Also what is the best way to plug this thing in? It came with a lot of different cords. When I plug it in Firewire - Time Machine immediately starts up so I believe it is backing up - but how do I access the files that are on there because I took a lot of them off my computer and the only place they reside is the hard drive. Also, is there away to plug the drive in WITHOUT it automatically backing up right away?

I've also tried another cord - It is a small output on the drive (not sure what its called but smaller than usb and firewire) and it connects to two usbs (a split cable) what the **** is that for? I have it plugged it in that way now and I can hear the drive making noise but Time Machine isn't spinning - but I still don't see the icon of the drive.
Can anyone tell me how all this is supposed to work.
I am pretty sure my Iomega harddrive is good.

Thanks!:p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.