Keeps going to wrong web page, lost e-mail DSN

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I launched a new website, with a new host company.
Sometimes, but not always, I am directed to the old web site at the old hosts' IP. Also I'm not getting all my e-mails. The Apple techs had my MacBook Pro for a few days, and assured me that the problem is somewhere out on the internet. They set the Domain Name Server, and I did a DNS flush. But the problem persists. How can I find out what is redirecting me to the old web site? Is there a way to continuously log where the traffic is going? Net Monitor 4.5.1 maybe? Could our time capsule have anything to do with this? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Does it only happen at home?

Who manages the DNS for the domain? Are there two entries for www and mail?

What do you get with nslookup?

Have you tried a public DNS service to test like 8.8.8.8 (googles)

Reboot all your networking components, their ARP cache may be bad.

Try MXToolbox.com to see what they report as the DNS and hosts of your MX and A records.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Definitely not a Mac issue, but more likely an issue with your host or DNS provider for your domain name.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your replys. The lookup function in the Mac network utilitys, returns two different answers. When a browser is displaying the wrong website, (a screen that says account suspended), lookup returns the old ip address, and the old DNS. When the correct website is displayed, lookup returns the new ip address and new DNS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you confirm anything else I mentioned?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for asking

I turned the Time Capsule (router) on and off, installed a brand new cable modem, and changed our ISP from Earthlink to Comcast. All this had no effect on the problems.

I turned off Comcast's domain name helper service last night. It's too soon to tell if this helped.

I haven't switched to 8.8.8.8. We are using openDNS. I hope to have some time after work tonight to try this and MXToolbox.com.

Thanks much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Also try checking the DNS servers you're hitting using dig.

at a terminal prompt

dig @<dnsServerIP> <fqdn>

see if that shows the incorrect IP, if it does.. then the DNS server's horribly lagged at the update (if it's over a week and others have picked it up)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll update then try try to answer all the questions, as best I can.

I bypassed the Time Capsule, hooking directly into the cable modem, no change.

One email sender received two “could not deliver” notices. This is a first. Before, when we didn't get their emails, the senders didn't receive any notices.

Here's the message, with a few changes to to protect identity.

“This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

me@mywebsite
The mail server could not deliver mail to me@mywensite. The
account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing
the proper dns entries.
[email protected]
No Such User Here"

I don't know where the com in [email protected] came from.

I used the Connection Doctor in Mail several time over the last days. Most of the time it comes back red with the message "Trying to log in to this POP account failed. Verify user name and password are correct" Once it came back green indicating everything was OK. We didn't change anything on the Mac.

Your questions

MacsWork

Q. Who manages the DNS for the domain? Are there two entries for www and mail?
A. We pay Register.com to maintain the domain name. They correctly identify the new host's two name servers. I'll look into mail servers.

Q. Have you tried a public DNS service to test like 8.8.8.8 (googles)?
A. We use OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.222.220. I just added 8.8.8.8 in DNS, under network setting on the Mac, and moved it to the top of the list. I'll let you know what happens.

The MX lookup has returned the old (wrong) IP address, and the new (correct) IP at different times. I'm pretty sure of this, and I'll double check soon. I tried the smpt test once, it returned the old host's name. I'll run it more times and see if it returns the correct one. MXtoolbox is a little over my head. I'm not sure what all the tests do, or how to interpret some of the results. What should I be looking for?

Dysfunction

I couldn't get Dig to return the DNSs. I don't think I got the syntax right.
It's been well over a week, more like four weeks. I did notice that the Mac Network Utilities use Dig.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it very much. I'll keep plugging away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like the DNS for your domain has multiple entries or is being hosted by multiple hosts each with different IPs.

Disable the A, www and MX records on Register.com, wait 48 hours and then try a whois lookup on your domain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.