elgato eyetv 3 HELP with Cable Change

Reaction score
I moved from one city to another. At my old house I had basic cable. We had an actual cable that came into the livingroom and plugged into the tv, and another cable that went into the room with my mac. I plugged the cable into my eyetv and got my channels. The TV in the other room was not an HDTV and because we had cable I did not need a digital converter.

My problem is that I've moved. At this new house I do not have cable, so I haven't been able to utilize my eyetv on my mac. The livingroom TV is hooked up to a digital antena (which incidentally drives me NUTS because the TV scrambles every time a car drives by). Hence...I NEED cable.

I need to order cable but I have no idea what I need to keep in mind in order to be assured I can use my Eye TV 3 on my MAC. When I started researching choices, I got confused because it looks like I might need to lease a cable BOX in addition to my Eye TV 3 unit??? Even for basic non HD??? How does this work if I want to have the line go to the livingroom TV and my iMac?

My choices for cable are WOW and Comcast. Can anyone help? I miss my EyeTV!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved to the appropriate forum as it does not belong in "The Lounge". Please read forum descriptions and Sticky notices before posting. Thanks.

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

You will likely need a cable box whether or not your TVs are digital HD. Most cable companies require the use of a cable converter box so they can control what services you receive and charge accordingly.

As for your EyeTV, it should be compatible with most cable boxes. You'll have to ask EyeTV support about Comcast and WOW. Here's the LINK to the EyeTV web page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.