• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What is a good mouse for Carpel Tunnel syndrome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 3.6 GHz, Intel Core i5, 8 GB, 1333 MHz RAM
Hi,
I have been teaching myself digital painting even more since getting my new Imac and unfortunately have flared my carpel tunnel in my wrists. :Angry:
I have seen on the web that you can get special ones for this but don't know where to start to try to purchase one in Melbourne Aus.
Any suggestions would be most welcome! :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
You should probably try using a ball mouse, or a Wacom Tablet. i use the latter and it is really great for digital painting, especially as you can use varied brush strokes and other features that a mouse is not capable of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah a trackball is what you want. Mice in general kind of stink from an ergonomic standpoint anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Depending on how you are using it, an Apple "Magic Trackpad" is much easier on the carpal tunnel in the wrist.
I use it for everything and no longer use a mouse.
I have to admit I have not tried "digital painting" with it.

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Whale mouse from Humanscale

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
+1 for the trackpad. A great device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
IMO... the Kensington SlimBlade Trackball is excellent for me since I use it mainly for music apps on my MBP. I never tried it for any painting apps though.

OP
Tower4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
I have researched the track ball and would be worried my thumb might get too much use as it is a bit stiff as well.
I am considering looking into the Apple Magic Trackpad though and hope to check it out when in the city this weekend.
Is is hard to get used to after years of using a mouse?:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Is is hard to get used to after years of using a mouse?:)

I personally took about 5 minutes to get used to it, though it's not far removed from my Poweerbook's Trackpad, so that may be why.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I hate to disagree with everyone here, but it will be awful to digital paint with a trackpad, and much worse with a trackball mouse.

Unless you have problems holding a pen (i.e you get wristcramp) a Wacom Bamboo tablet is gonna see much better ergonomics and will be far easier to use than both for your selected applications.

http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/BambooTablets.aspx

You paint with a brush, not a ball or a finger. This will be the most natural to you.

OP
Tower4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already have the Wacom Intuos4 that I use to paint with but never really thought to use it in place of mouse.
Does anyone use it for this as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Did you do a search for this? You should ask a physical therapist if that would help you. It helps me with tendinitis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well, since this thread was resurrected...

I learned that HumanScale no longer makes the Whale Mouse. Now they have the Switch Mouse. It's a similar concept, and works for lefties and righties.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.