Shared access to iPhoto and iTunes databases

Reaction score
I have setup individual user accounts on our iMac including a users\shared account that I want to have as the common repository for iTunes and iPhoto databases - to avoid proliferation of the same photos and music within each users account. Can I make the 'shared' account location the default directories for all users when we open either of these applications? - I've looked in preferences to no avail.

I have been able to launch (say iPhoto) from Finder under each profile for the shared database, which kinda works, but the iPhoto app behaved a bit oddly - not letting me view the photo when I double clicked it from the thumbnail (which I could view ok).

Any advice appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks from me too Chas. Now that my (previously technophobe) wife has got her macbook she wants 'Everything'!

OMG - she even wants an iPhone now. Thanks Apple!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Thanks from me too Chas. Now that my (previously technophobe) wife has got her macbook she wants 'Everything'!

OMG - she even wants an iPhone now. Thanks Apple!!!!

And i'm pretty sure the "want" list will get longer and longer from now on ;)

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
And i'm pretty sure the "want" list will get longer and longer from now on ;)

- Simon

So true.

From "what would anywant want one of those for", to "I think a mobile dongle would be a good idea", to never going anywhere without her macbook & dongle - "just in case I want to look something up", the change has been ballistic!!!

Mind you I shouldn't moan we're both getting iPads for our birthdays later in the year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I foresee a very expensive few years ahead in that case :p

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.